[NatureNS] Re: Questions re: Late Dragonflies

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:52:30 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_104008609==.ALT

At 11:21 PM 17/11/2009, you wrote:
>However, there is one later flying darner species and that is the
>Common Green Darner (Anax junius) which flies past mid-Nov, again in
>Mass.  These two species should be fairly easy to distinguish even
>in flight however since A. junius has an all green thorax (no
>thoracic stripes which most darners show) and a different abdominal
>pattern.  Noteworthy is the fact that this latter species is also
>often the first species seen in the spring (late April); these are
>the migrants from the south.

I'm familiar with the Common Green Darner, and saw the bugs well
enough to rule out that species, so I'm guessing the two were Shadow
Darners.   I'll try the same area again later, and maybe I'll be
lucky with photos.

Cheers,

Blake

Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
902-852-2077

Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
http://nsbs.chebucto.org

author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
http://tinyurl.com/mr627d

White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada
--=====================_104008609==.ALT

At 11:21 PM 17/11/2009, you wrote:<br>
one later flying darner species and that is the Common Green Darner (Anax
junius) which flies past mid-Nov, again in Mass.&nbsp; These two species
should be fairly easy to distinguish even in flight however since A.
junius has an all green thorax (no thoracic stripes which most darners
show) and a different abdominal pattern.&nbsp; Noteworthy is the fact
that this latter species is also often the first species seen in the
spring (late April); these are the migrants from the
I'm familiar with the Common Green Darner, and saw the bugs well enough
to rule out that species, so I'm guessing the two were Shadow
Darners.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'll try the same area again later, and maybe I'll
be lucky with photos.<br><br>
Cheers,<br><br>
Blake<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Blake Maybank<br>
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca<br>
902-852-2077<br><br>
Editor, &quot;Nova Scotia Birds&quot;<br>
http://nsbs.chebucto.org<br><br>
</a>author, &quot;Birding Sites of Nova Scotia&quot;<br>
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns<br>
covers:<br>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada </body>