[NatureNS] How is the wild food supply?

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:07:57 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Calibri;c
I think there are some very distinct regional differences in this year's
wild food supply. The spruce bark beetle, which I understand is native
to Nova Scotia and normally kept in check by cold winters...) has
created quite severe and rapid devastation in some parts of the
province, in particular the east side of St Margarets Bay, (especially
Seabright and Glen Margaret), where whole chunks of spruce forest have
died off in the space of the last 2-3 years and also, I believe in parts
of Antigonish County and Cape Breton. So cones for squirrels, for
example, must be severely reduced or non existent in these areas.

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay