[NatureNS] Winter birds in HRM

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:21:27 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_Y8R+CDUEShWaUhKewhUDmw)

After reading a number of reports of the arrival of winter birds in various locations, I thought I would mention that on a walk at Prospect High Head last weekend, a small group of us on a Wild Flora field trip noted a small group of Harlequin Ducks hauled out on some offshore rocks about 500 - 600 m along the trail from the Indian Point Rd trailhead.  The group consisted of 3 males and 4-5 females/immatures.
Later in the afternoon, as we drove the 333 loop, about 5 km north of the Swiss Air 111 memorial, we noticed several small groups, totalling 6-7 individuals, of Horned Grebes.

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax