[NatureNS] RE: Mystery birdsong

Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:17:16 -0500
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Eleanor,

>So for the time being I'll go with Andy's 'whispered songs'.
>The time of year is right, I have song sparrows around and
>the 'whispering' captures the essence of what I was hearing.....

Andy's suggestion of a 'whispering' Song Sparrow is indeed the most likely. The photo-period in late September/early October is similar in length to that of early Spring and, as it does in spring, it often stimulates birds to sing. However, because the hormone levels at this time of year are much lower than during early spring and summer the songs that are produced are very weak and whispery. From my experience, Song Sparrows commonly exhibit this behaviour.

All the best,

Lance
Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario
lance.laviolette@lmco.com
P Before printing think about your responsibility & commitment to the Environment!
P Merci de penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel!