[NatureNS] Red breasted nuthatches

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 09:29:06 -0400

Since RB nuthatches are reported as being scarce this year, I thought
I'd mention that I currently have two at my feeders. I usually have 1-3
at the beginning of every winter, but they always vanish before the
winter's end. Does anyone know why, or where they go to?

Eleanor Lindsay, St Margarets Bay

I have had two red breasted nuthatches visiting my feeder about 10am, oops,
now 9 am !!, everyday but today it appears to be alone. Very nice looking
specimen, I think. The white breasteds were coming  in the later pm about 4
to 5, so switch back an hour for time change. they have been consistent in
their arrival. They seem to be taking the black oil sunflower seeds as a
last resort. I haven't started putting my seed cakes out yet but they do
seem to visit that part of the grape vine, hanging upside down looking where
normally in cold weather the seed cakes would be hanging.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens.

http://MargMillard.ca