[NatureNS] Clementsvale, Annapolis Co. this weekend

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:51:02 -0300

	One coyote crossed the 101 in front of us, not very closely, thank goodness, at the
Power Lot road which intersects the 101 on Friday afternoon. On Saturday Stephanie, my
daughter, and baby, Naomi were close to Grandmother Maire Wamboldt's home in
Clementsvale, when Stephanie caught sight of the white tail of a deer which had nearly
crossed out in front of her, but thought the better of it, turned and was fleeing back from
whence it had come. Too close for comfort, but the situation resolved itself alright. About
the same time I was watching three handsome male pheasants on the front lawn in the
pouring rain. As the evening went on the winds and rain grew worse. In the morning we had
experienced a hail/snow/rain mixture for awhile. But the best surprise of all occured at about
4:15am when I awoke this morning, not only to the pounding rain and howling winds still, but
to a song just outside, or perhaps even on my bedroom window the sound was so close, of
one lone Spring peeper which repeatedly called distinctly four or five times before it moved
futher away and then "disappeared" altogether. I quickly sat up after hear the first call to
make sure I was hearing what I thought I was hearing, and not dreaming or hearing crickets
or a bird perhaps. But it was altogether a Spring peeper enjoying the very drenching, warm
rains. Marie told me she watched a frog of some sort hop across her driveway about a week
ago heading in the direction of the alder swamp, undoubtedly looking for winter refuge. So
we had some interesting sightings despite the horrid weather which stymied planned walks.
Jean