[NatureNS] Big I. Oct. 19 incl. Storm Petrel

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:37:21 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_kJMYDXtfHJbKPc0mLfRDIA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi all
Mon. Oct. 19 was a day of strong NE winds so I headed out to Big I. at noon hoping the weather would clear a bit as the wind was to switch around to the North.
It was still drizzling and NE 50 Km/h winds when I arived. Along the causeway, I encountered 2 Storm Petrels heading east. I had a reasonable look at the first and felt it was a Wilson's with squarish tail, white rump and roundish wings and petering on the water. The second, I did not get a great look at before it disappeared. Other species of note were 6 Lapland Longspur, 3 American Pipit, and 1 Horned Lark.
Shorebirds observed on the high tide: Dunlin-36,  Sanderling-12,  White-rumped Sandpiper-13,  Semipalmated Plover-9,  Black-bellied Plover-1,  Greater Yellowlegs-2,  Pectoral Sandpiper-3
There were 465 Canada Geese and 250 Bonaparte's Gulls.
As I was leaving the island about 6 p.m. and doing a final look through some teal and Black Ducks, I noticed that a Petrel was sitting on the water on the inner channel. It made a bit of an attempt to fly when an eagle passed over, but seemed content to sit on the water probably as a rest from the wind. It was still there when I left.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_kJMYDXtfHJbKPc0mLfRDIA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18828">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Mon. Oct. 19&nbsp;was a day of strong NE winds so I
headed out to Big I. at noon hoping the weather would clear a bit as the wind
was to switch around to the North. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>It was still drizzling and NE 50 Km/h winds when I
arived. Along the causeway, I encountered 2 Storm Petrels heading east. I had a
reasonable look at the first and felt it was a Wilson's with squarish tail,
white rump and roundish wings and petering on the water. The second, I did not
get a great look at before it disappeared. Other species of note were 6 Lapland
Longspur, 3 American Pipit, and 1 Horned Lark. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Shorebirds&nbsp;observed on the high tide:
Dunlin-36,&nbsp; Sanderling-12,&nbsp; White-rumped Sandpiper-13,
&nbsp;Semipalmated Plover-9,&nbsp; Black-bellied Plover-1, &nbsp;Greater
Yellowlegs-2, &nbsp;Pectoral Sandpiper-3</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There were 465 Canada Geese and 250 Bonaparte's
Gulls. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>As I was leaving the island about 6 p.m.&nbsp;and
doing a final look through some teal and Black Ducks,&nbsp;I noticed that a
Petrel was sitting on the water on the inner channel. It made a bit of an
attempt to fly when an eagle passed over, but seemed content to sit on the water
probably as a rest from the wind. It was still there when I left.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_kJMYDXtfHJbKPc0mLfRDIA)--