[NatureNS] Vulture, Pheasant, &c.

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:32:22 -0400

On the coastal drive near Lawrencetown on Sunday, 11 Oct, we sited a
Turkey Vulture and a Ring-necked Pheasant, and three GB Herons.  At
Martinique Beach, Yellow-rumped Warblers were still present.
Back at Seabright (Halifax RM), another GB Heron at Hubley Cove.  None
of these are probably unusual, except that it seems that the Turkey
Vulture and the Pheasant have been spreading in the province during
recent years.  Lest someone start reflexively mentioning AGW as a
cause, note that the Ring-necked Pheasant was introduced
intentionally, and probably gets food from bird feeders during the
winter.  Likewise, the Turkey Vulture has been profiting all through
it range from roadkill.  As the deer population grows (promoted by
suburbanization and the restriction on hunting brought about by denser
human population), there are many more deer carcasses to be found
along the roads.
In my own experience, I have never yet hit a deer while driving; but
twice I have had a deer run into my vehicle, once with substantial
damage.  This will become more commonplace as the deer population
increases.