[NatureNS] Food Preparation in Birds and/or Mammals?

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:49:06 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01CA4837.402DB960

For the second autumn in a row, some creature is transporting bunches of
Mountain Ashes berries to my bird bath, about 30 metres from the closest
Mountain Ash tree. The animal has never been seen carrying out this
procedure. But it appears that one bunch of Mountain Ashes berries at a time
is brought to the bird bath and left there to soak in the water. At first
the berries float but as they soften they sink to the bottom of the water
column where there is a pile of berry mash. There is no trail of berries
from the tree to the bird bath and only occasionally do I see a berry far
from the tree in another part of the yard. A new bunch or two of berries is
seen in the bird bath every couple of days. I suspect that crows, robins,
blue jays, squirrels, or raccoons are doing this. But why?

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01CA4837.402DB960

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Arno Pro Smbd";
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.EmailText, li.EmailText, div.EmailText
	{margin-top:0in;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:6.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Arno Pro Smbd";}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'>For the second autumn in a row, some creature is transporting =