[NatureNS] RE: Blue Jay flocks

Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 18:41:37 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jon,

> Could someone perhaps explain where the blue jays are
> migrating to? Our local mob (what is the collective for blue
> jays?) don't seem to go anywhere.

The current understanding is that Blue Jays have two main, migration
strategies. Some NS Blue Jays migrate south, mostly to the mid-US
coastal states. These are probably the birds that are seen in large
flocks in southern NS. However, distances vary and most NS Blue Jays
don't migrate south at all. These non-migrant birds stay put or
concentrate in feeding groups in the general area they bred in. I'm
willing to bet there is a fair amount of movement within NS of birds
concentrating at good food sources such as feeders. The birds you see in
your area all year round are comprised of these 'local' birds and
probably at least a few birds from farther away; birds from further
north filling the void left by those local birds that migrated south.

During the course of a winter, this same pattern can be seen at a
feeder. At least some of the Blue Jays at a feeder may leave for a
period of time and go to other, near-by feeders if they are available.
Other birds, from other feeders, moving around in the same way may then
move in to fill the void. Unless the birds are banded or have a
distinctive physical characteristic it would be impossible to tell that
the 25 or 30 Blue Jays that visit a feeder on a given day are all the
same birds that were there the day before.

All the best,

Lance Laviolette