[NatureNS] Look at big trees - Measuring

Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:47:43 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jane,
   I have a feeling that measuring the height of the tree is one of the
deterents in sending in information on a big tree. It is difficult to do
accurately, especially in the woods.  I have adopted a standard method
that gives a good estimate of the height.
   There are three measurements needed to get the height.
    I use a steel tape measure for two of  my measurements
       1. Hold the tape vertically to measure the viewed height along
the tape measure - with the tip at the top and my thumb holding the tape
and matched with the bottom of the tree.
      2. Then without moving my eye or arm, I use my other hand to pull
the tape back and measure the distance from my thumb (tape distance to
the eye) and clamp it so I can then look down and read it.

The third and most inaccurate is the distance to the tree. Pulling a
string or tape measure through the woods in a straight line is usually
impossible and very time consuming. I have taken to using my stride as a
measure.  Surprisingly, if a person develops a uniform stride it does
not vary vary much in length. My two steps (stride) is almost exactly 5
ft and so I usually take 20 strides from the tree (if there is room and
I can still see the bottom and top of the big tree) to get approximately
100 ft from the tree.
    Of course striding through the woods is not easy or uniform but it
is better than nothing and I do use the method as best as can be in the
woods and have to take fewer than 20, many times, to keep the parts of
the tree in sight.

    Then calculate:  Height of Tree = [(height along tape)/(tape to eye
distance) ] x distance from the tree (feet or metres)

 So all you need to measure the diameter and height of a tree is a tape
measure. I do like to have a picture and a Lat/Long position also (the
later can be taken from a map or Google maps).

Cheers,
Happy Measuring

Larry