[NatureNS] Black spots on maple leaves was Look at big trees

Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:01:56 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jane,

> The black spots on the maple leaves.
> I saw them a few years ago in Montreal and was
> told this disease is devastating to the trees.  Now this is
> rampant in my neighborhood (downtown Dartmouth). Is this true?

I believe the black spots on maple leaves that you are referring to are what are often called 'tar spots' and are caused by a fungal infection. While it may be considered ugly by some, it is rarely harmful to the tree. The Red Maples on my lawn have had the infection year after year for at least 15 years and are still growing very well. In a home/lawn situation the infection, which overwinters on dead leaves, can be controlled/reduced by raking and destroying the fallen leaves. Unfortunately, since the fungal spores are carried by the wind, if there are other infected maples in the neighbourhood their infected leaves can also cause a reinfection of the tree.

All the best,

Lance
Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario
lance.laviolette@lmco.com
P Before printing think about your responsibility & commitment to the Environment!
P Merci de penser à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel!