[NatureNS] This morning's birding in Halifax Co.

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:27:32 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001636ed6b161c70e1047480e63c

Hi,

I was asked to take a visiting speaker at a medical conference, from
Toronto, birding, so I met him this morning, together with the organizer,
who had absolutely no experience of birding at all. I lent her some
binoculars, and it was interesting explaining how to use a field guide, how
to use binoculars etc. - a neat experience. We even had her work out how to
ID a Greater yellowlegs and Semi. plovers from scratch, using Peterson,
guiding her through it all.

We hit Sandy Cove Rd., Duncan's Cove, Frog Pond, and St. Marys Boat Club.
Birds were present in rather small numbers. Highlights (for me) were good
numbers of Boreal chickadees and G-C kinglets, a Veery, lots of Blackpoll
warblers, and some B.orioles. There were 4 N.harriers high over Sandy Cove
Rd., as well as a Merlin, and a large accipiter seen too briefly for a
definite ID. For them, even the things we take for granted were good, such
as a Common loon on the ocean, Gannets flying by, and GBB gulls. Also
notable were numerous flocks of Blue jays flying over.

A very pleasant morning.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001636ed6b161c70e1047480e63c

Hi,<br><br>I was asked to take a visiting speaker at a medical conference, =
from Toronto, birding, so I met him this morning, together with the organiz=
er, who had absolutely no experience of birding at all. I lent her some bin=
oculars, and it was interesting explaining how to use a field guide, how to=
 use binoculars etc. - a neat experience. We even had her work out how to I=
D a Greater yellowlegs and Semi. plovers from scratch, using Peterson, guid=
ing her through it all. <br>

 Club. Birds were present in rather small numbers. Highlights (for me) were=
 good numbers of Boreal chickadees and G-C kinglets, a Veery, lots of Black=
poll warblers, and some B.orioles. There were 4 N.harriers high over Sandy =
Cove Rd., as well as a Merlin, and a large accipiter seen too briefly for a=
 definite ID. For them, even the things we take for granted were good, such=
 as a Common loon on the ocean, Gannets flying by, and GBB gulls. Also nota=
ble were numerous flocks of Blue jays flying over.<br>

sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>

--001636ed6b161c70e1047480e63c--