[NatureNS] Birding Notes Sept. 21 and 25 and 26

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:10:32 +0000

--_d1df5a39-e61b-436b-a07a-e62b6d92fb4a_

Yesterday=2C I had my first two common grackles show up at the feeder in ap=
proximately two months.  So a new bunch of these birds must be moving throu=
gh in migration.  Today my mourning dove flock went from about 12 birds to =
27. =20

=20

On September 21 David Walmark and I took a birding run from LaHave to Beach=
 Meadows.  Beach Meadows was dead in comparison to what I heard was present=
 there on the Saturday before=2C when Clarence Sr. and Jr. had 72 species. =
 Along from LaHave to Cherry Hill the birding was good though with lots of =
warblers and other species. =20

=20

For shorebirds on Cherry Hill Beach.  Sylvia Fullerton=2C please feel free =
to include this information with your shorebird stats.  It was a fine day w=
ith no cloud or percipitation.  The time was 11:26 to 12:10.  I did not go =
beyond the parking area=2C but observed from the beach edge at high tide. =
=20

=20

Greater yellowlegs 3

Spotted Sandpiper 4

Pectoral Sandpiper 4

Sanderling 100

Buff-breasted Sandpiper 1

Semi-palmated Plover 20

Semi-palmated Sandpiper 3

Least Sandpiper 4

=20

In addition we had four swamp sparrows there and another at Crescent Beach.

=20

At the entrance to Crescent Beach there was a nice fall-out of migrants=2C =
which included Yellow-rumped warbler=2C common yellowthroat=2C magnolia war=
bler and Blackpoll warbler with a number of other species.

=20

Yesterday I took a walk out to Conrad's Island Beach at Lower Rose Bay.

=20

Of note: =20

=20

Hooded merganser 5

Yellow-rumped warbler 51

Greater yellowlegs 4

Black-bellied Plover 15

Lesser Yellowlegs 6

Pectoral Sandpiper 1

American Golden Plover 1

Semi-palmated Sandpiper 4

Semi-palmated Sandpiper 1

Killdeer 3

Short-billed Dowitcher 2

=20

=20

At Mahone Bay 60 common mergansers

=20

There were also lots of Canada Geese on the move yesterday.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		  =0A=
We are your photos. Share us now with Windows Live Photos.=0A=
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666047=

--_d1df5a39-e61b-436b-a07a-e62b6d92fb4a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Yesterday=2C I had my first two common grackles show up at the feeder in ap=
proximately two months.&nbsp=3B So a new bunch of these birds must be movin=
g through in migration.&nbsp=3B Today my mourning dove flock went from abou=
t 12 birds to 27.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On September 21 David Walmark and I took a birding run from LaHave to Beach=
 Meadows.&nbsp=3B Beach Meadows was dead in comparison to what I heard was =
present there on the Saturday before=2C when Clarence Sr. and Jr. had 72 sp=
ecies.&nbsp=3B Along from LaHave to Cherry Hill the birding was good though=
 with lots of warblers and other species.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
For shorebirds on Cherry Hill Beach.&nbsp=3B Sylvia Fullerton=2C please fee=
l free to include this information with your shorebird stats.&nbsp=3B It wa=
s a fine day with no cloud or percipitation.&nbsp=3B The time was 11:26 to =
12:10.&nbsp=3B I did not go beyond the parking area=2C but observed from th=
e beach edge at high tide.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Greater yellowlegs 3<BR>
Spotted Sandpiper 4<BR>
Pectoral Sandpiper 4<BR>
Sanderling 100<BR>
Buff-breasted Sandpiper 1<BR>
Semi-palmated Plover 20<BR>
Semi-palmated Sandpiper 3<BR>
Least Sandpiper 4<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
In addition we had four swamp sparrows there and another at Crescent Beach.=
<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the entrance to Crescent Beach there was a nice fall-out of migrants=2C =
which included Yellow-rumped warbler=2C common yellowthroat=2C magnolia war=
bler and Blackpoll warbler with a number of other species.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Yesterday I took a walk out to Conrad's Island Beach at Lower Rose Bay.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Of note:&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Hooded merganser 5<BR>
Yellow-rumped warbler 51<BR>
Greater yellowlegs 4<BR>
Black-bellied Plover 15<BR>
Lesser Yellowlegs 6<BR>
Pectoral Sandpiper 1<BR>
American Golden Plover 1<BR>
Semi-palmated Sandpiper 4<BR>
Semi-palmated Sandpiper 1<BR>
Killdeer 3<BR>
Short-billed Dowitcher 2<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Mahone Bay 60 common mergansers<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There were also lots of Canada Geese on the move yesterday.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />We are your photos. Share us now with  <=
a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666045' target=3D'_new'>Window=
s Live Photos.</a></body>

--_d1df5a39-e61b-436b-a07a-e62b6d92fb4a_--