[NatureNS] Brier Island rarities

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:39:16 -0300

--_1cc37426-a1bf-4549-8858-d1ae31ed453f_

Hello all=2C
=20
    A more complete report of the NSBS weekend 19-20 September will follow =
when we get a chance to put it together=2C but we should at least put a few=
 species on the RBA.  Some have already been mentioned by Suzanne or Richar=
d=2C including what was likely the rarest=2C the Long-tailed Jaeger.  This =
was seen near the end of the a.m. trip=2C about 6km NW of Grande Passage=2C=
 by Clarence Stevens=2C Jr.=2C just as we had turned to head back to port. =
 The boat had to return for the p.m. trip=2C so there was no chance to try =
to approach it=2C and as far as I know no one else was able to identify it.=
  On the same trip=2C several of us got fairly good looks at a South Polar =
Skua (although not as good as with the one that flew over our stern two yea=
rs ago)=2C and Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers and Northern Fulmars gave us =
excellent looks=2C as did the two common shearwaters and Wilson's Storm-Pet=
rels.
=20
    Land birds were scarcer (our combined total for the two days was about =
90 species)=2C but a few qualify as rare or at least noteworthy.  Again=2C =
the scarcest was seen by Clarence Stevens (both) on Saturday p.m.(?) at the=
 intersection of Peajack and Western Light roads - a Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher.=
  Two others of note were seen by me along Gull Rock Rd. - an imm. Field Sp=
arrow feeding along the roadside on Sat. p.m.=2C and a Warbling Vireo movin=
g through with a mixed feeding flock of warblers on Monday morning (Sept. 2=
1 - not part of official trip list).  Perhaps not officially rare=2C but ne=
w to my Brier Island list=2C was a beautiful male Black-backed Woodpecker i=
n the woods at the north end of the old campground site along the Western L=
ight Road on Sunday p.m.
=20
  The full report will be in NS Birds=2C and more on here as well.

Cheers=2C

Wayne Neily=20
Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia=20

"To a person uninstructed in natural history=2C his country or seaside stro=
ll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art=2C nine-t=
enths of which have their faces turned to the wall." - Thomas H. Huxley=2C =
1854.=20

=20