[NatureNS] Poison Hemlock

Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:10:43 -0300
From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This lies within one of my interests but have no experience with this
specific plant.  It is a rare, introduced plant that is related to
the common roadside plant we see everywhere this time of year, Queen
Ann's Lace (Daucus Carota).  According to the records of Roland and
Smith's  (Flora of Nova Scotia)   and  Roland's Flora of Nova Scotia
by Marian Zinc (now Munro) besides other places in the province, it
is found in Digby County, in waste places, dumps,  and apparently in
some gardens.  I have found water hemlock (Cicuta maculata) but not
Poison Hemlock (Conium maculatum)  and  know of no specific locations
for it. You could check with the folks at the Herbarium at Acadia U.
(585-1355) in Wolfville (Ruth Newell).

Sherman