[NatureNS] Birding two days ago

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 01:36:01 +0000

--_3a34fc09-2d79-4f28-a24e-8d563868c591_

I dropped Pat at the airport two days ago and decided to bird from St. Marg=
arets Bay back to Second Peninsula.  I was hopeful for some Bill deposited =
birds=2C but no such luck.  There were tons of common terns.  Along St. Mar=
garets Bay there were some nice warbler deposits=2C but nothing unusual wit=
h them.  There were two hooded mergansers at Blandford.  On a farm in East =
River there were 41 Canada geese feeding in the grass and sleeping.  I went=
 to Clearland and there were warblers there.  Everytime I worked them out t=
o see what types were present one of those boy toys came along (ATV).  For =
14:00 in the afternoon when one would expect most people to be working it w=
as like a national convention.  Not pleasant for a bird watcher at all.  Lo=
ts of cedar waxwings were about and a Nashville warbler were nice.  I then =
went to the Fauxburg trail and there were lots of warblers there.  I had a =
black-throated green warbler=2C a chestnut-sided warbler=2C three northern =
parulas=2C a black and white warbler=2C and American redstart=2C three over=
nbirds=2C four red-breasted nuthatches=2C a hairy woodpecker=2C a least fly=
catcher=2C an Eastern wood pewee and more.  I looked up the path and could =
see many more birds flitting about and then another ATV came by and that wa=
s it for the birds there.

=20

I then went to Second Peninsula.  I talked to Glenn Rhodenizer there and he=
 told me that there were still a few active barn swallow nests.  I saw a pa=
ir that were still gathering food for young.  Apparently a pair of Cliff sw=
allows were feeding a young one until two days before.  On my visit the you=
ng had fledged and both the adults and the young one had left.  I had a kil=
ldeer.  On the farm six pairs successfully raised young and another pair fa=
iled. =20

=20

Other treats on the farm were 30 bobolinks.  After Bill=2C Glenn told me th=
ere were at least 50 about.  I also saw 83 red-winged blackbirds. =20

=20

In all not a bad day with 53 species.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

Stay on top of things=2C check email from other accounts!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9671355=

--_3a34fc09-2d79-4f28-a24e-8d563868c591_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I dropped Pat at the airport two days ago and decided to bird from St. Marg=
arets Bay back to Second Peninsula.&nbsp=3B I was hopeful for some Bill dep=
osited birds=2C but no such luck.&nbsp=3B There were tons of common terns.&=
nbsp=3B Along St. Margarets Bay there were some nice warbler deposits=2C bu=
t nothing unusual with them.&nbsp=3B There were two hooded mergansers at Bl=
andford.&nbsp=3B On a farm in East River there were 41 Canada geese feeding=
 in the grass and sleeping.&nbsp=3B I went to Clearland and there were warb=
lers there.&nbsp=3B Everytime I worked them out to see what types were pres=
ent one of those boy toys came along (ATV).&nbsp=3B For 14:00 in the aftern=
oon when one would expect most people to be working it was like a national =
convention.&nbsp=3B Not pleasant for a bird watcher at all.&nbsp=3B Lots of=
 cedar waxwings were about and a Nashville warbler were nice.&nbsp=3B I the=
n went to the Fauxburg trail and there were lots of warblers there.&nbsp=3B=
 I had a black-throated green warbler=2C a chestnut-sided warbler=2C three =
northern parulas=2C a black and white warbler=2C and American redstart=2C t=
hree overnbirds=2C four red-breasted nuthatches=2C a hairy woodpecker=2C a =
least flycatcher=2C an Eastern wood pewee and more.&nbsp=3B I looked up the=
 path and could see many more birds flitting about and then another ATV cam=
e by and that was it for the birds there.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I then went to Second Peninsula.&nbsp=3B I talked to Glenn Rhodenizer there=
 and he told me that there were still a few active barn swallow nests.&nbsp=
=3B I saw a pair that were still gathering food for young.&nbsp=3B Apparent=
ly a pair of Cliff swallows were feeding a young one until two days before.=
&nbsp=3B On my visit the young had fledged and both the adults and the youn=
g one had left.&nbsp=3B I had a killdeer.&nbsp=3B On the farm six pairs suc=
cessfully raised young and another pair failed.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Other treats on the farm were 30 bobolinks.&nbsp=3B After Bill=2C Glenn tol=
d me there were at least 50 about.&nbsp=3B I also saw 83 red-winged blackbi=
rds.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
In all not a bad day with 53 species.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR><br /><hr />Stay on top of things=2C check email from other acco=
unts! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9671350' target=3D'_new'=