[NatureNS] Large number shorebirds - Grand Pre

Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 03:40:10 -0300
From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I would be interested in hearing if those of you who have been
keeping a close watch on the shorebird numbers,  are seeing a drop in
numbers beginning tomorrow,  Monday (Aug 24).   Late Sunday evening
(Aug 23) and until about 2 am (Aug 24) the sky over Horton Bluff was
filled with waves of the piping-twittery sounds of high-flying
shorebirds,  all heading southeast.  Perhaps an average of between 3
and 4 waves of birds per minute.

This came to my attention between 11 and 11:15 p.m. while sitting at
my computer; my ear caught the sounds wafting in the open study
window. I immediately went out on my upper deck which faces northwest
in the general direction of Minas Basin and Avonport Beach. It wasn't
long before another wave of birds were approaching from the same
general direction of sky having Draco and the Dippers (Big and Small)
as starry background.  In a few seconds they passed over the house
and faded into the distance southeastward. They no sooner passed out
of earshot when another group was piping toward me.

After a few minutes of listening I decided to get my digital camera
and make myself comfortable. The digital camera, which takes digital
video clips, was used in trying to capture the sound of the birds and
some of my comments on what I was witnessing and a time stamp to go
with it.   I managed to capture two or three reasonable samples.

What is amazing is that this went on unabated, wave after wave of
twittering little piping sounds until well past 1 a.m. About 1:20
a.m. the numbers really slowed down. A few more flocks went over but
they were spaced much further apart in time and a few of the groups
only had a couple of birds piping, stragglers.  Just before 2 a.m
there were 3 or 4 more waves of reasonable size go over.  I decided
to call it quits for the night.  As I type this I have only heard two
more small groups pass over.

The stars were shining brightly through most of the observation. A
few clouds occasionally moved across and hazed out some of the stars.
Very little of no breeze.  The Minas Basin tide at 11 p.m. was just
nicely beginning to rise, having been low at 10:12 p.m.

Just about every year I witness this phenomena usually sometime
between the 10th and 25th of August and just about every time it is
associated with a starry night, a high pressure weather cell
building in over the area just after a low pressure weather system is
moving out.  That was very dramatically the situation today (Aug 23rd).

Sherman