[NatureNS] Sora at Hartlen Point (photos)

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:04:51 -0300

Hello,

This afternoon I headed out into the fog.
First towards Lawrencetown Beach where I dipped on the Little Egret -I wasn't the only one-.
Tremendous traffic going out that way, guess most weren't aiming for the Egret like we did.
At one point the lifeguards closed the gates in preparation for closing the park by order of
DNR.
Now everybody arriving parked on the curb, creating a rush hour traffic situation on the road.
When a DNR truck showed up the last remaining cars (including me) where told to get off as
the gates were going to be locked. Guess this was a preventative measure in case the
weather and surf conditions would start to become iffy. At the time surf and wind were like on
any other given day, no indication of Billy approaching.

Next destination Hartlen Point.  Here the fog had lifted and approx. 200 Gannets were
divebombing for fish between Devlis and McNabs islands. Most if not were all adult
individuals.  Quite a show.

The tide was way out this afternoon, not so good for shorebirds.  In the outflow/creek the
usual suspects, i.e. a handful of Least Sandpipers, were doing their business and local
birders (Fulton, Mike, Suzanne, Bob, and me) followed their routine of scanning the area.

A Sora (imm. or female) showed up in the back part of  the creek and offered great views.
For me actually the first one I have ever seen. Now another bird has a face and not just a
voice.

The Sora made several appearances, offering opportunity for some photos.  A selection of
the ones I took can be found on the web. Go to:

http://dunlin.ca

Then the fog returned .......

Cheers

Ulli