[NatureNS] Flocks of Common Nighthawks

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:14:54 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e646522c17b63a04716a4f33

I kn ow it's not a NS issue. but when we in Montreal last week at the
Uniprix Stadium watching the Rogers Cup tennis, there were hordes of insects
flying around the floodlights after dark, and we heard the constant "peent"
of Nighthawks. While watching the semi-final on TV on Saturday evening back
home, we could still hear them all through the match in the background.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016e646522c17b63a04716a4f33

I kn ow it&#39;s not a NS issue. but when we in Montreal last week at the U=
niprix Stadium watching the Rogers Cup tennis, there were hordes of insects=
 flying around the floodlights after dark, and we heard the constant &quot;=
peent&quot; of Nighthawks. While watching the semi-final on TV on Saturday =
evening back home, we could still hear them all through the match in the ba=
ckground.<br>

AM, Andrew Horn <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:aghorn@dal.ca">agho=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">

enthusiasts might want to check out this somewhat random but very interesti=
ng page about their history and migratory habits in Massachusetts:</div>
l" target=3D"_blank">http://www.borobirding.net/nighthawks/history.html</a>=
ell defined flight lines that are consistent over the years. It&#39;d be gr=
eat to get a handle on where these are in Nova Scotia, and how the birds&#3=
9; numbers along them have changed over the years.</div>

ext year, to take some of the sting out of the last atlas season.</div><div=

a href=3D"mailto:iamclar@dal.ca" target=3D"_blank">iamclar@dal.ca</a> wrote=
that Common Nighthawks recently on the move, right on schedule<br>

for the usual peak of movement here from late July through mid-August. For =
a<br>few years numbers of migrants here seemed to be down. Numbers breeding=
 here and<br>throughout N. America certainly are decreasing - they&#39;re a=
bout 1/6 as common<br>

here now as in the mid 1960s (BBS) - so the good shows this summer may simp=
ly<br>reflect a temporary shift in migration path occasioned by weather pat=
iams, NS, Canada<br>

B0P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail=

--0016e646522c17b63a04716a4f33--