[NatureNS] Decline in bats...the real answer!

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:31:57 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016e6d77e3c7b9b54047169b5c0

Over the past two days I've been alerted by two independent sources of bats
being eaten by crows.

1. Our secretary, who has a view of the foyer and main doors (glass) to our
building, noticed a crow behaving oddly...it seemed like it was flying at
the wall outside, and running up it. Another building resident who was
closer by told the secretary that the crow had just caught a bat. Bats have
been hanging out on our building for years, in small numbers (ones and twos,
and not every day).

2. One of my students came in this morning looking amazed and said, "You'll
never believe what I just saw...a crow with two bats!" To which I of course
replied, "Was one wood and the other aluminum? Were the other crows wearing
gloves?" It wasn't the first time she had the I-want-to-smack-you look on
her face... Anyway, she said one bat was already dead at the crow's feet,
the other was alive in the bird's beak. This happened on campus, about one
building away from mine.

I suspect that this is one crow which has learned how to deal with bats.
Maybe it's even the same crow (or from the same family) that was
dismembering a living starling last year on the lawn just across from my
building.

Although I'm sure this is not anywhere near as large a contribution to the
decline in bats as the decline in food (insects), fungus, and perhaps even
turbines, it is new information for me. I suspect that predation by crows
isn't even a significant source of decline at all.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d77e3c7b9b54047169b5c0

s of bats being eaten by crows.</div>
o our building, noticed a crow behaving oddly...it seemed like it was flyin=
g at the wall outside, and running up it. Another building resident who was=
 closer by told the secretary that the crow had just caught a bat. Bats hav=
e been hanging out on our building for years, in small numbers (ones and tw=
os, and not every day).</div>

uot;You&#39;ll never believe what I just saw...a crow with two bats!&quot; =
To which I of course replied, &quot;Was one wood and the other aluminum? We=
re the other crows wearing gloves?&quot; It wasn&#39;t the first time she h=
ad=A0the I-want-to-smack-you look on her face... Anyway, she said one bat w=
as already dead at the crow&#39;s feet, the other was alive in the bird&#39=
;s beak. This happened on campus, about one building away from mine.</div>

s. Maybe it&#39;s even the same crow (or from the same family) that was dis=
membering a living starling last year on the lawn just across from my build=
ing.</div>

ution to the decline in bats as the decline in food (insects), fungus, and =
perhaps even turbines, it is new information for me. I suspect that predati=
on by crows isn&#39;t even a significant source of decline at all.</div>

--0016e6d77e3c7b9b54047169b5c0--