[NatureNS] Satellite Tagged Whimbrel on 3, 000+ mile flight

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:51:47 -0300

--Apple-Mail-5--768915150

Hi all,

The excerpt below, from an email list re waterbird conservation, makes
one appreciate our transient whimbrels all the more. The best bit's in
the first paragraph: one radio-tracked whimbrel has been flying
nonstop over 5100 km for the last four days.

Maps and further info at http://www.ccb-wm.org/programs/migration/Whimbrel/whimbrel.htm

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
> to discover migratory routes that connect breeding and winter areas
> and to
> identify en route migratory staging areas that are critical to the
> conservation of this declining species.
> Updated tracking maps may be viewed online.
> http://www.ccb-wm.org/programs/migration/Whimbrel/whimbrel.htm
>
> Background
>
>    The whimbrel is a large, holarctic, highly migratory shorebird.
> The
> North American race includes two disjunct breeding populations both
> of which
> winter primarily in Central and South America.  The western population
> breeds in Alaska and the Northwest Territories of Canada.  The eastern
> population breeds south and west of Hudson Bay in Manitoba and
> Ontario.
> Both populations are of high conservation concern due to dramatic
> declines
> in recent decades.
>
>    Satellite tracking represents only one aspect of a broader,
> integrated
> investigation of whimbrel migration.  During the past 2 years, the
> Center
> for Conservation in partnership with The Nature Conservancy and the
> U.S.
> Fish and Wildlife Service has used conventional transmitters to
> examine
> stopover duration, conducted aerial surveys to estimate seasonal
> numbers,
> collected feather samples to locate summer and winter areas through
> stable-isotope analysis, and has initiated a whimbrel watch program.
> Continued research is planned to further link populations across
> staging,
> breeding, and wintering areas and to determine the ecological
> requirements
> of whimbrels staging along the peninsula.
>
> Media Contacts: Bryan Watts, Executive Director, Center for
> Conservation
> Biology, College of William and Mary & Virginia Commonwealth
> University,
> Williamsburg, VA.  Phone 757-221-2247, email bdwatt@wm.edu
> Barry Truit, Chief Conservation Scientist, The Nature Conservancy,
> Virginia
> Coast Reserve Program.  Phone 757-442-3049, email btruitt@tnc.org
>
> forwarded by:
> Mike Wilson
> Center for Conservation Biology
> College of William & Mary / Virginia Commonwealth University
> PO Box 8795
> Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795
> phone: 757-221-1649
> fax: 757-221-1650
> email:mdwils@wm.edu
> www.ccb-wm.org

> Members of the WaterbirdsNetwork list can write to all other members
> by sending email to waterbirdsnetwork@lists.fws.gov. Any interested
> party can join the list if they send a blank email to waterbirdsnetwork-request@lists.fws.gov
>  with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

--Apple-Mail-5--768915150

excerpt below, from an email list re waterbird conservation, makes one =
appreciate our transient whimbrels all the more. The best bit's in the =
first paragraph: one radio-tracked whimbrel has been flying nonstop over =
further info at&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.ccb-wm.org/programs/migration/Whimbrel/whimbrel.htm">ht=
message:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">"Mike Wilson" &lt;<a =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000"><b>Date: =
</b></font><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px =
Helvetica">August 14, 2009 12:45:11 PM ADT</font></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:waterbirdsnetwork@lists.fws.gov">waterbirdsnetwork@lists.fw=
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>[waterbirdsnetwork] Satellite Tagged =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; =
min-height: 14px; "><br></div> =
****************<br>This message comes to you via a group e-mail service =
created to communicate information related to waterbirds and waterbird =
conservation. &nbsp;Thank you for supporting the Waterbird Conservation =
for the Americas =
initiative.<br>***********************************************************=
VA)---Hope, a whimbrel carrying a satellite transmitter, is<br>far out =
to sea flying south over the Atlantic toward her wintering grounds<br>in =
South America. &nbsp;The bird had been staging (building up energy =
reserves in<br>preparation for a migratory flight) on Southampton Island =
in the northern<br>reach of Hudson Bay since 15 July before leaving on a =
non-stop flight south<br>on 10 August. &nbsp;The bird flew south over =
Hudson Bay, crossed the interior of<br>Canada and New England to emerge =
from the coast of Maine and out over the<br>open ocean. &nbsp;Flying =
more than 1,600 kilometers (1000 miles) out over the<br>ocean and east =
of Bermuda, Hope then turned south and is now moving toward<br>the =
Caribbean. &nbsp;She has already flown non-stop for more than =
5,100<br>kilometers (3,200 miles) but is still 400 kilometers (250 =
miles) from the<br>nearest land in the Virgin Islands. &nbsp;So far, =
Hope has been on the wing for 4<br>days with an average flight speed of =
60 kilometers/hour (37 miles/hour).<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope was =
originally captured and fitted with a satellite transmitter on<br>19 =
May, 2009 while staging on the Delmarva Peninsula of Virginia. &nbsp;She =
left<br>Virginia on 26 May and flew to the western shore of James Bay in =
Canada.<br>She staged on James Bay for 3 weeks before flying to the =
MacKenzie River<br>near Alaska and then on to the Beaufort Sea where she =
staged for more than 2<br>weeks before flying back to Hudson Bay. =
&nbsp;Hope has traveled more than 13,000<br>kilometers (8,000 miles) =
since late May.<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope is one of several birds =
that have been fitted with state of the art<br>9.5-gram, satellite =
transmitters in a collaborative effort by the Center for<br>Conservation =
Biology at the College of William and Mary - Virginia<br>Commonwealth =
University and the Virginia Chapter of the Nature Conservancy<br>to =
discover migratory routes that connect breeding and winter areas and =
to<br>identify en route migratory staging areas that are critical to =
the<br>conservation of this declining species.<br>Updated tracking maps =
may be viewed online.<br><a =
href=3D"http://www.ccb-wm.org/programs/migration/Whimbrel/whimbrel.htm">ht=
ckground<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;The whimbrel is a large, holarctic, =
highly migratory shorebird. &nbsp;The<br>North American race includes =
two disjunct breeding populations both of which<br>winter primarily in =
Central and South America. &nbsp;The western population<br>breeds in =
Alaska and the Northwest Territories of Canada. &nbsp;The =
eastern<br>population breeds south and west of Hudson Bay in Manitoba =
and Ontario.<br>Both populations are of high conservation concern due to =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Satellite tracking represents only one aspect of a =
broader, integrated<br>investigation of whimbrel migration. &nbsp;During =
the past 2 years, the Center<br>for Conservation in partnership with The =
Nature Conservancy and the U.S.<br>Fish and Wildlife Service has used =
conventional transmitters to examine<br>stopover duration, conducted =
aerial surveys to estimate seasonal numbers,<br>collected feather =
samples to locate summer and winter areas through<br>stable-isotope =
analysis, and has initiated a whimbrel watch program.<br>Continued =
research is planned to further link populations across =
staging,<br>breeding, and wintering areas and to determine the =
ecological requirements<br>of whimbrels staging along the =
peninsula.<br><br>Media Contacts: Bryan Watts, Executive Director, =
Center for Conservation<br>Biology, College of William and Mary &amp; =
Virginia Commonwealth University,<br>Williamsburg, VA. &nbsp;Phone =
757-221-2247, email bdwatt@wm.edu<br>Barry Truit, Chief Conservation =
Scientist, The Nature Conservancy, Virginia<br>Coast Reserve Program. =
&nbsp;Phone 757-442-3049, email btruitt@tnc.org<br><br>forwarded =
William &amp; Mary / Virginia Commonwealth University<br>PO Box =
757-221-1650<br>email:mdwils@wm.edu<br>www.ccb-wm.org =
*************************<br>Members of the WaterbirdsNetwork list can =
write to all other members by sending email to =
waterbirdsnetwork@lists.fws.gov. Any interested party can join the list =
if they send a blank email to waterbirdsnetwork-request@lists.fws.gov =
with the word "subscribe" in the subject line. =

--Apple-Mail-5--768915150--