[NatureNS] Terns nesting on a boat?

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:39:13 +0000

--_86a41ba4-1d9f-48a3-ac53-8eb4fdebe8f9_

Hi all:

=20

I sent this one through to DNR to address.  I've never heard of terns nesti=
ng on a boat before=2C but I guess there is a first time for everything.  I=
 thought that I would share the body of the email for interests sake.

=20

I was wondering if you could help us or tell us who could. We have a pair o=
f Common Terns that have decieded to nest in some rolled up rope on the fro=
nt of our cape island boat. Last  Sunday ( 19th ) there was one egg in the =
rope nest. They didn't follow the boat when we we took it=2C but they were =
waiting for for us when we came back. We haven't been out since then but I =
can see they are still there.
=20
I have read that it takes the eggs 3 weeks to hatch. The web site also said=
 they leave the nest within a couple of days of hatching but don't fly for =
3 to 4 weeks.  So they would be running around the boat and could fall off.=
 Also how can they teach them how to fly on a boat without falling in the w=
ater? It just does seem possible to leave them there. Do you think we could=
 move the eggs to shore along with our rope for their nest? Or maybe wait t=
ell they hatch and move them then. Plus if we every get a sunny day we woul=
d like to be able to use the boat.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport.
More storage. Better anti-spam and antivirus protection. Hotmail makes it s=
imple.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9671357=

--_86a41ba4-1d9f-48a3-ac53-8eb4fdebe8f9_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I sent this one through to DNR to address.&nbsp=3B I've never heard of tern=
s nesting on a boat before=2C but I guess there is a first time for everyth=
ing.&nbsp=3B I thought that I would share the body of the email for interes=
ts sake.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was wondering if you could help us or te=
ll us who could. We have a pair of Common Terns that have decieded to nest =
in some rolled up rope on the front of our cape island boat. Last&nbsp=3B S=
unday ( 19th ) there was one egg in the rope nest. They didn't follow the b=
oat when we we took it=2C but they were waiting for for us when we came bac=
k. We haven't been out since then but I can see they are still there.</FONT=
></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp=3B</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I&nbsp=3Bhave read that it takes the eggs&=
nbsp=3B3 weeks to hatch. The web site also said they leave the nest within =
a couple of days of hatching but don't fly for 3 to 4 weeks. &nbsp=3BSo the=
y would be running around the boat and could fall off. Also how can they te=
ach them how to fly on a boat without falling in the water? It just does se=
em possible to leave them there.&nbsp=3BDo you think we could move the eggs=
 to shore along with our rope for their nest? Or maybe wait tell they hatch=
 and move them then. Plus if we every get a sunny day we would like to be a=
ble to use the boat.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp=3B</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>James R. Hirtle</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Bayport.</FONT></DIV><br /><hr />More storage. Bett=
er anti-spam and antivirus protection. <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?=
linkid=3D9671352' target=3D'_new'>Hotmail makes it simple.</a></body>

--_86a41ba4-1d9f-48a3-ac53-8eb4fdebe8f9_--