[NatureNS] Ragged Fringed Orchis

Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:55:54 -0300
From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

For the first time since last week's deluge of rain, I walked a bit
around my property. The outflow of our marsh, a brook about 30 cm
wide, could not hold all the water that came out of the marsh, and
about a 10 m wide area seemed like it got steamrolled with water. In
another area, the brook upstream of the marsh also overflowed, and the
nearby Purple Fringed Orchids (Large, I think...) were mowed down
flat. However, in the intervening time, the flower spikes (which are
in bud) took a turn and started growing upward again...i.e. most of
the stem is still laying on the forest floor, but it has a right angle
bend in it. Hardy!

There was also a group of smaller orchids that I didn't recognize,
growing near a mucky area...they might turn out to be Tall Leafy Green
Orchid...I'll check on them in a few days.

Randy

--
Randy