[NatureNS] Nighthawk(s) recovering?

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:33:19 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e642d9d45f6954046ef00ea9

Hi Wayne et al,

Farther east in King's Co., i.e. around the Canning/ Port Williams/ Upper
Dyke areas, I have noticed how abundant Eastern Kingbirds are this year!
However, I have yet to see or hear a Nighthawk. Indeed, it's anecdotal and
short-term, but we should await the results of the Atlas with great
interest.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016e642d9d45f6954046ef00ea9

Hi Wayne et al,<br><br>Farther east in King&#39;s Co., i.e. around the Cann=
ing/ Port Williams/ Upper Dyke areas, I have noticed how abundant Eastern K=
ingbirds are this year!=A0 However, I have yet to see or hear a Nighthawk. =
Indeed, it&#39;s anecdotal and short-term, but we should await the results =
of the Atlas with great interest.<br>

PM, Wayne P. Neily <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:neilyornis@hotma=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin=
: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

Hello Folks,<br>
=A0<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Last evening (July 16)=A0I saw two Common Nighthawks hunting o=
ver the Greenwood Mall, =A0the first that I have seen there in years.=A0 Th=
at was exciting enough, but this evening (17th), I saw four hunting over my=
 farm here in Tremont=A0 - the first I have seen here since moving back to =
N. S.=A0 It seems too early for their main migration, so perhaps they neste=
d locally.=A0=A0For the past few years I have seen or heard them mainly whi=
le atlassing clearcut areas - perhaps like the Olive-sided Flycatcher, it&#=
39;s a species that benefits from poor forest management.=A0 <br>

=A0<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Although this evidence is all anecdotal and short-term, I h=
ave also seen more of several other species of concern this summer than for=
 the past two or three years, viz., the three regular swallow species and C=
anada Warbler.=A0 Unfortunately, one species that was once common here rema=
ins absent, and should surely be reviewed by the Dept. of Natural Resources=
 - the Eastern Kingbird.<br>

=A0<br>
th into the light of things, <br>Let Nature be your teacher.&quot; - Willia=
<hr>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 21:50:12 -0300<br>To: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@cheb=
ucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br>From: <a href=
=3D"mailto:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">plchalmers@ns.symp=