[NatureNS] Re: lack of insects?

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:09:32 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi there,

         I found that June bugs were early this year, and more
numerous in Halifax than usual.  I first heard them on 20 May, and
often after that especially in late May, before it got so wet.  On
the other hand, I have not seen nearly as many butterflies as usual.

         This evening I needed a change of scene and drove out to
Chebucto Head to listen to the Hermit Thrushes.  I think there is a
greater density of these lovely singers along the Duncan's Cove Road
than any other place I know.  They did not disappoint me tonight;
often I could hear 6 at a time, all fairly close to the road.  At
sunset I could also hear a pair of Gray Catbirds, Yellow Warblers,
Common Yellowthroats, a single Palm Warbler, Song Sparrows, and
White-throated Sparrows singing.  These gradually fell silent, but
the Hermit Thrushes continued the longest, till 9:45 when nearly all
light had drained from the western sky.  There were also a few Spring
Peepers still calling, and a number of Green Frogs.

         At about 9:30 I was delighted to see a Firefly over the
barrens, and it wasn't long before I could see 4 or 5 at a time,
flickering along the side of the road.  These are the first I have
seen this year.  Has any one else been seeing any?

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax