[NatureNS] Amherst Point

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 03:58:01 +0000

--_021f6fe3-53a1-486d-b06b-a05281019a38_

Today=2C Pat and I took a young birder from Northern Carolina with us to Am=
herst Point.  I was able to add three life birds for him.  Anyhow=2C it was=
 a last minute decision to go. First off this young birder went to see the =
little egret at Cow Bay yesterday and he reports three whimbrels there. =20

=20

Today=2C just before the Waverly exit=2C there was a turkey vulture.  At Fo=
lly Mountain we had two mourning warblers.  At Amherst Point highlights wer=
e four American bitterns=2C numbers of sora rails with the first one being =
wide open and found and seen within seconds of arrival.  I saw one Virginia=
 Rail.  Black terns were about nine.  Of note as per the mention of Clarenc=
e and Clarence earlier there was a lack of American coots and moorhens.  Al=
so=2C absent were northern shoveller and teal species. =20

=20

Young included=2C bald eagle=2C American wigeon=2C ring-necked ducks=2C pie=
d-billed grebes=2C and yellow-rumped warbler.

=20

Loads of cedar waxwings were present.  A merlin was patrolling.

=20

Near the Mahone Bay exit I saw an adult northern goshawk. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

Create a cool=2C new character for your Windows Live=99 Messenger.=20
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9656621=

--_021f6fe3-53a1-486d-b06b-a05281019a38_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Today=2C Pat and I took a young birder from Northern Carolina with us to Am=
herst Point.&nbsp=3B I was able to add three life birds for him.&nbsp=3B An=
yhow=2C it was a last minute decision to go.&nbsp=3BFirst off this young bi=
rder went to see the little egret at&nbsp=3BCow Bay yesterday and he report=
s three whimbrels there.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Today=2C just before the Waverly exit=2C there was a turkey vulture.&nbsp=
=3B At Folly Mountain we had two mourning warblers.&nbsp=3B At Amherst Poin=
t highlights were four American bitterns=2C numbers of sora rails with&nbsp=
=3Bthe first one being&nbsp=3Bwide open and&nbsp=3Bfound&nbsp=3Band seen wi=
thin seconds of arrival.&nbsp=3B I saw one Virginia Rail.&nbsp=3B Black ter=
ns were about nine.&nbsp=3B Of note as per the mention of Clarence and&nbsp=
=3BClarence earlier there was a lack of American coots and moorhens.&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3BAlso=2C absent were northern shoveller and teal species.&nbsp=3B=
 <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Young included=2C bald eagle=2C American wigeon=2C ring-necked ducks=2C pie=
d-billed grebes=2C and yellow-rumped warbler.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Loads of cedar waxwings were present.&nbsp=3B A merlin was patrolling.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Near the Mahone Bay exit I saw an adult northern goshawk.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR><br /><hr />Create a cool=2C new character for your Windows Live=
=99 Messenger.  <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9656621' targe=
t=3D'_new'>Check it out</a></body>

--_021f6fe3-53a1-486d-b06b-a05281019a38_--