[NatureNS] Green Heron and Great Egrets

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 19:14:20 +0000

--_1acef5f6-90cb-4d88-9641-13178558dbff_

I had a call with a report of a green heron.  The reportee was Coyler Durni=
vich who is a young birder from South Carolina.  He knows his stuff=2C so t=
here is no doubt that the report is valid.  Anyhow=2C this bird was at one =
of the ponds at Eagle Head=2C Queens County.  There are quite a few ponds t=
here=2C so it might be hard to relocate.  I took a run up that way today=2C=
 but did not have any luck.

=20

What did surprise Pat and I were two great egrets.  Both were at West Berli=
n.  There is a very large pond that drains into the ocean.  A backhoe has r=
ecently opened the flow up and the water level has gone way down.  The egre=
ts can easily be viewed from the road.

=20

A northern harrier and a common nighthawk at the same time as the egrets wa=
s neat also.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666046=

--_1acef5f6-90cb-4d88-9641-13178558dbff_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I had a call with a report of a green heron.&nbsp=3B The reportee was Coyle=
r Durnivich who is a young birder from South Carolina.&nbsp=3B He knows his=
 stuff=2C so there is no doubt that the report is valid.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C =
this bird was at one of the ponds at Eagle Head=2C Queens County.&nbsp=3B T=
here are quite a few ponds there=2C so it might be hard to relocate.&nbsp=
=3B I took a run up that way today=2C but did not have any luck.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
What did surprise Pat and I were two great egrets.&nbsp=3B Both were at Wes=
t Berlin.&nbsp=3B There is a very large pond that drains into the ocean.&nb=
sp=3B A backhoe has recently opened the flow up and the water level has gon=
e way down.&nbsp=3B The egrets can easily be viewed from the road.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A northern harrier and a common nighthawk at the same time as the egrets wa=
s neat also.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR><br /><hr />Attention all humans. We are your photos.  <a href=
=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666044' target=3D'_new'>Free us.</a>=

--_1acef5f6-90cb-4d88-9641-13178558dbff_--