[NatureNS] Spotting Scope

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:28:04 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016369fa335e4ffb7046dcc4a77

Hi,

The advantages of using a spotting scope are -

-- Higher magnification than is possible with binoculars - particularly
useful for distant shorebirds, perched raptors, seabirds etc., and for close
appreciation of the plumages of not so distant birds.

-- Ability to find a bird and then show it to others. (Anyone who has been
on a bird tour will recognize the phrase "I've got it in the scope").

The disadvantages are -

-- Has to be attached to a tripod, although I know one excellent birder that
always uses his on a rifle mount, and therefore relatively heavy/ awkward to
carry around.

-- Yet more financial layout for equipment. Binocs and scopes are good
examples of "you get what you pay for", although there is an exponential
curve - i.e. gear that costs 3x the price of the mid-range stuff is usually
moderately better, not 3x better.

A good place in NS, although not in HRM, would be the For the Birds store,
http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/, Mahone Bay, where they have a good
inventory and excellent advice. Carsand Mosher usually have a few models in
stock.

Richard

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>  And speaking of Spotting Scopes (what is the advantage of using them?) &
> binoculars in general, (& I apologize if this topic has been addressed
> before), where is a good place here in HRM, to find ones that:
> 1. birders love
> 2. are reasonably priced
> 3. and that don't weigh a ton.
>
> I got very nice binoculars for Christmas but they just get so darned heavy
> after a short time when I'm out peering up into the trees.
> So, for the lady birders out there, what are your favourites and where did
> you get them?
>
> Many thanks!!
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth
>
> --- On *Thu, 7/2/09, Margaret E.Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>* wrote:

###################
Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016369fa335e4ffb7046dcc4a77

 magnification than is possible with binoculars - particularly useful for d=
istant shorebirds, perched raptors, seabirds etc., and for close appreciati=
on of the plumages of not so distant birds.<br>

een on a bird tour will recognize the phrase &quot;I&#39;ve got it in the s=
 a tripod, although I know one excellent birder that always uses his on a r=
ifle mount, and therefore relatively heavy/ awkward to carry around.<br>

examples of &quot;you get what you pay for&quot;, although there is an expo=
nential curve - i.e. gear that costs 3x the price of the mid-range stuff is=
 usually moderately better, not 3x better.<br>

re,=A0 <a href=3D"http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/">http://www.forthebi=
rdsnatureshop.ca/</a>, Mahone Bay, where they have a good inventory and exc=
ellent advice. Carsand Mosher usually have a few models in stock.<br>

M, Gayle MacLean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duartess2003@yahoo=
ail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt =
0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

e=3D"font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font=
-weight: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-size-adjus=
t: inherit; font-stretch: inherit;" valign=3D"top">

em?)=A0&amp; binoculars in general, (&amp;=A0I apologize if this topic=A0ha=
s been addressed before), where is a good place here in HRM,=A0to find ones=
 that:</div>

eavy after a short time when I&#39;m out peering up into the trees. </div>
 did you get them?</div>
ref=3D"mailto:mmillard@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">mmillard@eastlink.ca<=
r>

--0016369fa335e4ffb7046dcc4a77--