[NatureNS] Snapping Turtle Nests

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 20:01:26 -0400

--Apple-Mail-1--854569774

Some notes about snapping turtle nests:  The turtle often digs a small
pit, and then excavates a lateral "cave" on the side, into which the
eggs are packed.  In this way, the mother turtle can place the eggs
under a clump of grass, for example, or otherwise make them less
readily discovered.  Raccoons are a major threat to turtle eggs.

Snapping turtle eggs require the moisture of the soil in which they
are buried, and yet they should not be below the water table.  Eggs
that are too dry will loose moisture and shrivel.  Bird eggs, on the
other hand, can survive in open air.

If you collect snapping turtle eggs and choose to hatch them, a good
idea is to place them in a large soil-filled flower pot with bottom
drainage.  After the young hatch out, they will soon have to be
separated, because they are cantankerous even from youth, and will
attack each other.  They like to eat earthworms.  I suggest releasing
the young turtles soon, but I did succeed in raising one until its
carapace was about 20 cm long, whereupon I released it into a suitable
pond.

On 24 Jun 2009, at 3:29 PM, Rob Woods wrote:

> My local snapping turtle has created 4 nest holes and filled them in
> on the gravel shoulder of Georgefield RD. While I do not know if
> there are eggs, would this be concidered a safe enough location.
> Should a site transfer be concidered.
>
> The painted turtles seem much smarter. They nest on the gravel and
> dirt trails in the back of my property where I drive once a month
> with a much lighter vehicle.
>
> This year though I did rescue one baby turtle (1inch diameter) at
> the end of May which had wondered in a direction far from any
> sustainable water.
>
> Rob Woods
> Georgefield
>
> Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
> Yahoo! Answers.

--Apple-Mail-1--854569774

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Some notes about snapping =
turtle nests: &nbsp;The turtle often digs a small pit, and then =
excavates a lateral "cave" on the side, into which the eggs are packed. =
&nbsp;In this way, the mother turtle can place the eggs under a clump of =
grass, for example, or otherwise make them less readily discovered. =
&nbsp;Raccoons are a major threat to turtle =
the soil in which they are buried, and yet they should not be below the =
water table. &nbsp;Eggs that are too dry will loose moisture and =
shrivel. &nbsp;Bird eggs, on the other hand, can survive in open =
choose to hatch them, a good idea is to place them in a large =
soil-filled flower pot with bottom drainage. &nbsp;After the young hatch =
out, they will soon have to be separated, because they are cantankerous =
even from youth, and will attack each other. &nbsp;They like to eat =
earthworms. &nbsp;I suggest releasing the young turtles soon, but I did =
succeed in raising one until its carapace was about 20 cm long, =
24 Jun 2009, at 3:29 PM, Rob Woods wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><table =
cellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0"><tbody><tr><td =
valign=3D"top" style=3D"font: inherit;"><div>My local snapping turtle =
has created 4 nest holes and filled them in on the gravel shoulder of =
Georgefield RD. While I do not know if there are eggs, would this be =
concidered a safe enough location. Should a site transfer be =
smarter. They nest on the gravel and dirt trails in the back of my =
property where I drive once a month with a much lighter vehicle.</div> =
(1inch diameter) at the end of May which had wondered in a direction far =
size=3D"1">Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. =

--Apple-Mail-1--854569774--