[NatureNS] snapping turtle pics

From: bev wigney <bev@magickcanoe.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 11:48:47 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

div&gt;&lt;br class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/span
Re:  Moving turtles.  Over the years, we've moved a lot of Snappers,
Blandings and Painteds off of busy highways here in eastern Ontario.
These are just a few thoughts on moving them -- when and how to do so.

First consideration -- don't end up being a DOR along with the
turtle, so be very careful of your personal safety if you stop -- be
careful of where you park, etc...

Second -- don't move a turtle unless you think it's in peril.  Our
usual m.o. is to stand by and wait to see how things are going.  Some
roads are quiet enough that the turtle will probably make it across
without much danger.  However, there are some roads where turtle
mortality is very high, so moving the turtle makes good sense.

Agree with what Chris Majka has written after consultation with John
Gilhen.  It's probably okay to pick up a snapper by the tail. I
believe it shows that method in photos in the Peterson Field Guide to
Reptiles and Amphibians by Roger Conant (my books are packed up for a
move, so I can't verify that).  That said, my husband and I have
moved many truly massive Snapping turtles over the years using a snow
shovel kept in the back of our truck during "turtle crossing
season".  We would just slide the shovel under the turtle from the
back or sometimes the side -- tilt the shovel blade up so that the
turtle was barely touching the road, then scoot it off to safety on
the shoulder.  We've also moved a couple of super large ones by
tossing an old mat onto their shells and holding them from either
side, but WELL BACK from the head because their necks are remarkably
long and flexible.  By the way, lots of times, you don't really want
to handle these fellows with bare hands as they can be extremely
slimy unless they've been out of the water for a few hours.  I've
also seen people use a stick to move them by holding it out and
letting the turtle snap onto the stick and then slide the turtle off
the road as it grips the stick so strongly.   I have not used the
"stick-bite"  method as I use the shovel-skidding method most times,
but mentioned it on our eastern Ontario naturelist and there were
some objections to the idea of skidding a turtle on its plastron.  I
didn't bother to argue the point, but my feeling is that it wouldn't
really do much damage to a turtle's plastron to have it skid 6 or 8
feet to safety -- after all, I've watched big snapping turtle do a
sort of skid-and-slide down steep graveled roadsides when crossing
roads at blocked off culverts.  I doubt it does too much permanent
damage and, in a pinch, is better than letting the turtle be smashed
on the road -- or someone be bitten trying to assist the turtle.

One thing that should be mentioned is that, I've read somewhere or
other, that it's good to wash your hands well after picking up any
turtle with your bare hands as I guess they can carry salmonella.  I
keep a bottle of anti-bacterial hand wipes in my vehicle for just
this purpose.

bev wigney
Osgoode, Ontario.