[NatureNS] Comments on how to move a snapping turtle

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:30:32 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  the car
--001485f7721cdf52d3046d19cace

Ok, so I'm wearing my anatomists hat (and lab coat) for this one:

I would be interested in the source of that information, Peter. I cannot
believe that a tail could be so fragile...there's a lot of tough skin and
muscle holding that tail to the body, in addition to the vertebral column.
For those of you who have seen many of these turtles, how many have had
missing, or partially missing tails? Predation attempts, especially on
younger turtles, would result in missing/partial tails if the tail was so
fragile. Anyone know if tails grow back in turtles...I don't think so off
hand.
 Having said that, I have had little hands-on experience with turtles, but =
trust Nature to have built critters to withstand that kind of force.

Randy
2009/6/24 Peter & Lorraine Hope <peterhope@ns.sympatico.ca>

>  I would beg to differ. I have read that for larger turtles this can
> dislocate the spine by picking all the turtle's weight up on the tail. I
> think it is an old method and I would never do it for a big turtle.
>
> To get them off a highway I approach from the rear and scoot them along
> with a sweeping movement of my foot against the back of the shell by the
> tail. I do so in a series of short moves so I don't flip and don't hurt t=
he
> turtle. If it is crossing the road push it in the direction it wants to g=
o.
> They may grip the road but a little push has never damaged toe nails or
> injured the turtle.
>
> These re the pek days for turtle nesting.
>
> Pete Hope

g a snapping turtle by the base of the tail where it meets the plastron; a)=
 does not cause injury to the turtle; and b) is the safest way of moving on=
e (if you must absolutely do this). You must grasp
> it at the *base* of the tail, and not halfway along it, and when carrying=
 it the plastron (i.e.,
> the belly of the turtle) should face your leg, and not the carapace (i.e.=
,
> the back of the turtle). Trying to grab a snapping turtle by the carapace
> behind the head could be a very dangerous procedure, given the long,
> extremely flexible, and agile neck of a snapping turtle.
>
> In general, you should only move a snapping turtle if there is really no
> other option (i.e., getting it out of the middle of a road). As John said=
,
> "Trust me, you do not want to get a bite from a snapper." A snapping turt=
le
> can be a really dangerous beast.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>

>  Christopher Majka - Atlantic Canada Coleoptera
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html
> c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--=20
Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001485f7721cdf52d3046d19cace

/div>
ot believe that a tail could be so fragile...there&#39;s a lot of tough ski=
n and muscle holding that tail to the body, in addition to the vertebral co=
lumn. For those of you who have seen many of these turtles, how many have h=
ad missing, or partially missing tails? Predation attempts, especially on y=
ounger turtles, would result in missing/partial tails if the tail was so fr=
agile. Anyone know if tails grow back in turtles...I don&#39;t think so off=
 hand.<br>

but I trust Nature to have built critters to withstand that kind of force.<=
/div>
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:peterhope@ns.sympatico.ca">peterhope@ns.sympati=
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">
t for larger turtles this can dislocate the spine by picking all the turtle=
&#39;s weight up on the tail.=A0I think it is an old method and I would nev=
er do it for a big turtle.</font></div>

rom the rear and scoot them along with a sweeping movement of my foot again=
st the back of the shell by the tail. I do so in a series of short moves so=
 I don&#39;t flip and don&#39;t hurt the turtle. If it is crossing the road=
 push it in the direction it wants to go. They may grip the road but a litt=
le push has never damaged toe nails or injured the turtle.</font></div>

ng.</font></div>
x; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
=3D"c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca" href=3D"mailto:c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca" target=
=3D"_blank">Christopher Majka</a> </div>
.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@che=
bucto.ns.ca</a> </div>
 AM</div>
tle pics</div>