[NatureNS] snapping turtle pics

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:45:46 -0400

The snapping turtle was probably a she.  The females lay eggs on land
at this time of year.

It is harmful to the snapper to pick it up by its tail: it causes
serious internal injuries.  You are supposed to slip your hand forward
on the carapace and tuck your fingers over the front edge, just above
the head.  The turtle can and will strike in an attempt to get you,
but it can't quite get its jaws up in back of its neck.  It takes a
lot of nerve to do this.  Then, with the other hand, you can slip
under the plastron (lower part of the shell) and lift the turtle,
always keeping the anterior end pointing away from your body.  The
head will be shooting out and snapping, and the legs clawing, but you
are safe using this method.  As you lift the turtle, it may empty its
bladder, and your will be showered with turtle urine.  That is not the
time to loose your grip on the turtle, because in the confusion of
letting it slip, you might get bitten.

You can also lift the turtle with one hand on each side, which works,
but allows the turtle to scratch you viciously with its clawed feet.

The Snapping Turtle is said to be the commonest turtle in North
America.  It is delicious in soup, but I do not know what the laws are
regarding capture and eating of this species in Nova Scotia.  The meat
is of five distinct types, and is very clean, and almost free of all
odor.  The choicest meat is the tenderloin between the carapace and
the ribs, which requires breaking away the ribs with pliers to access
this daintiest and tenderest piece. All the time you are cleaning your
turtle, even when it has been decapitated, the limbs are still
reflexively active.  If you think that this would bother you, it is
best not to start the project in the first place.  It takes about 45
minutes to kill and clean an adult snapper.

A problem I could see is that the females are the ones most easily
caught, and if their numbers were to be sharply diminished, the
population of turtles would decline accordingly.

The Snapping Turtle eats a variety of food.  It is fast enough in
striking under water to catch a swimming White Perch (I have proof of
that), so the legend that snapper will not bite under water is clearly
untrue.  There are persistent stories of snappers eating ducklings.  I
have examined the stomach contents of several adult snappers who had
apparently been eating a vegetarian diet of pond weed; but on closer
inspection I found that the weed was filled with small amphipod
crustaceans, so it really represented an excellent and neatly balanced
diet.