[NatureNS] A question about a Nfld. bird

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:15:55 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1999937==.ALT

Hi Richard,

         It's my understanding that Caspian Terns breed at a couple
of spots on the west coast of Newfoundland.  I have seen them in July
at Aguathuna, on the the narrow isthmus west of Stephenville  which
connects to the Port au Port Peninsula.  That would be about 100
miles southwest of Deer Lake.  Maybe the birds you saw were non-breeders?

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 08:02 PM 21/06/2009, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just returned from 4 1/2 days at a conference in Corner Brook, NF.
>We had time to visit Gros Morne N.P., Blow Me Down Prov. Park, etc.
>The weather and the scenery were both stunning. The birding was
>good, but as expected - with 1 exception. Today there was a Caspian
>Tern (possibly 2) loafing around and fishing, close to the power
>plant at Deer Lake. Does anyone know if this is something expected,
>or a rarity for that area?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Richard
>
>--
>#################
>Richard Stern,
>317 Middle Dyke Rd.
>Port Williams, NS, Canada
>B0P 1T0
>
><mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com>sternrichard@gmail.com
>###################

--=====================_1999937==.ALT

Hi Richard,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>It's my
understanding that Caspian Terns breed at a couple of spots on the west
coast of Newfoundland.&nbsp; I have seen them in July at Aguathuna, on
the the narrow isthmus west of Stephenville&nbsp; which connects to the
Port au Port Peninsula.&nbsp; That would be about 100 miles southwest of
Deer Lake.&nbsp; Maybe the birds you saw were non-breeders?<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 08:02 PM 21/06/2009, you wrote:<br>
I just returned from 4 1/2 days at a conference in Corner Brook, NF. We
had time to visit Gros Morne N.P., Blow Me Down Prov. Park, etc. The
weather and the scenery were both stunning. The birding was good, but as
expected - with 1 exception. Today there was a Caspian Tern (possibly 2)
loafing around and fishing, close to the power plant at Deer Lake. Does
anyone know if this is something expected, or a rarity for that
area?<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Richard<br><br>
-- <br>