[NatureNS] Re: Caspian Terns in Newfoundland

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:04:08 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

At 08:02 PM 21/06/2009, Richard wrote:
>I just returned from 4 1/2 days at a conference in Corner Brook, NF.
>We had time to visit Gros Morne N.P., Blow Me Down Prov. Park, etc.
>The weather and the scenery were both stunning. The birding was
>good, but as expected - with 1 exception. Today there was a Caspian
>Tern (possibly 2) loafing around and fishing, close to the power
>plant at Deer Lake. Does anyone know if this is something expected,
>or a rarity for that area?

It is a scarce species on the west coast of Newfoundland, but is seen
annually, and might even breed in the Stephenville Crossing
area.  Most sightings are from the Stephenville Crossing area, though
I've seen them along the coast of Gros Morne, and further south in
the Codroy Valley.   But I've not heard of any inland sightings, so
one on Deer Lake seems notable.   You might consider forwarding the
sighting to NFBirds discussion group.

Cheers,

Blake