[NatureNS] re rare swallows -- was Londonderry Breeding Bird

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:57:46 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e642d2e60271e0046c7e45e4

Hi,
I know one shouldn't extrapolate from single observer impressions, but
around here I feel that this summer Swallows have bounced back somewhat. We
nearly always have a few Tree and Barn Swallows flying around above our
property, and the other day there were at lest 50 Bank Swallows - presumably
there was a flock of flying insects. I have seen reasonable numbers of
Swallows this summer elsewhere in Kings Co., including at the Pt.Williams
sewage ponds. The bird that seems to be missing around here this summer is
the Black-capped Chickadee! I can only find very few.

Richard

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM, James W. Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>wrote:

> Blake mentioned the rarity of a couple kinds of swallows, which prompts me
> to mention that a bunch of us on Sunday, June 14, were along the beach just
> west of Horton Bluff (east of Avonport and west of Blue Beach) and we
> encountered a flying flock of about 20 swallows that I'm guessing were BANK
> SWALLOWS.  I'm copying to Sue Abbott and Larry Bogan, and Dennis Hippern was
> with us as well.  Perhaps they can confirm or correct my guess as to what
> kind of swallow they were?  Also I couldn't tell whether or not they were
> possibly associated with a nesting colony there?
> Cheers from Jim in Wolfville
>

> --
#################
Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016e642d2e60271e0046c7e45e4

erver impressions, but around here I feel that this summer Swallows have bo=
unced back somewhat. We nearly always have a few Tree and Barn Swallows fly=
ing around above our property, and the other day there were at lest 50 Bank=
 Swallows - presumably there was a flock of flying insects. I have seen rea=
sonable numbers of Swallows this summer elsewhere in Kings Co., including a=
t the Pt.Williams sewage ponds.=A0The bird that seems to be missing around =
here this summer is the Black-capped Chickadee! I can only find very few.</=
div>

rd <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwolfo=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div style=3D"word-wrap:break-word">
Blake mentioned the rarity of a couple kinds of swallows, which prompts me =
to mention that a bunch of us on Sunday, June 14, were along the beach just=
 west of Horton Bluff (east of Avonport and west of Blue Beach) and we enco=
untered a flying flock of about 20 swallows that I&#39;m guessing were BANK=
 SWALLOWS. =A0I&#39;m copying to Sue Abbott and Larry Bogan, and Dennis Hip=
pern was with us as well. =A0Perhaps they can confirm or correct my guess a=
s to what kind of swallow they were? =A0Also I couldn&#39;t tell whether or=
 not they were possibly associated with a nesting colony there?=A0<div>

sternrichard@gmail.com<br>###=

--0016e642d2e60271e0046c7e45e4--