[NatureNS] Birds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:54:48 +0000

--_a4fbfc71-3c01-4bbe-9ad0-cc92531257a5_

Well I finally managed to sneak away for a short trout fishing excursion.  =
On that particular outing I encountered a pair of palm warblers which were =
very aggitated.  I also=2C heard a hawk of some sort screeching=2C but it w=
as quite far from where I was.  Other neat things were a barred owl vocaliz=
ing at 19:00 and an American woodcock doing the mating dance in the sky wit=
h the dropping down and the tell tale pent call. =20

=20

On the fish end I released five trout=2C which were considered by me as too=
 small for the frying pan and kept one only.  I actually ran out of bait an=
d was going to fall back on my fly rod.  It is a nice Brown's rod=2C blue i=
n color=2C which has done well for the last 20-25 years without any harm.  =
Well when I put the rod together it sagged and upon inspection was fracture=
d.  I had been carrying it in the back of the car and gave instructions tha=
t it was there and to be careful and mindful of it.  From what I can determ=
ine it succumbed to a bag of laundry carelessly thrown in on top of the rod=
.  We won't mention any names as to the infractee.

=20

My other disappointment was that I had requested time off on Sunday in hope=
s of being able to get to the AGM for part of the day for the Federation an=
d also three vacation days thereafter.  Somehow=2C they lost my paper work =
and therefore I had to work Sunday.  Oh well=2C once before I had to ask fo=
r photocopies of my requests.  It is a sad day when one has to resort to su=
ch again. =20

=20

Interestingly enough there have been reports of northern shrikes locally.  =
One was at Gold River and a suspected other at Second Peninsula.  At Second=
 Peninsula my reportee tells me that he found a bee impaled on a barbed wir=
e fence.  The only bird that we know that would do such a thing is the butc=
her bird or Northern Shrike.  Maybe it is the same bird that was at Gold Ri=
ver.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

Internet explorer 8 lets you browse the web faster.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9655582=

--_a4fbfc71-3c01-4bbe-9ad0-cc92531257a5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Well I finally managed to sneak away for a short trout fishing excursion.&n=
bsp=3B On that particular outing I encountered a pair of palm warblers whic=
h were very aggitated.&nbsp=3B I also=2C heard a hawk of some sort screechi=
ng=2C but it was quite far from where I was.&nbsp=3B Other neat things were=
 a barred owl vocalizing at 19:00 and an American woodcock doing the mating=
 dance in the sky with the dropping down&nbsp=3Band the tell tale pent call=
.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On the fish end I released five trout=2C which were considered by me as too=
 small for the frying pan and kept one only.&nbsp=3B I actually ran out of =
bait and was going to fall back on my fly rod.&nbsp=3B It is a nice Brown's=
 rod=2C blue in color=2C which has done well for the last 20-25 years witho=
ut any harm.&nbsp=3B Well when I put the rod together it sagged and upon in=
spection was fractured.&nbsp=3B I had been carrying it in the back of the c=
ar and gave instructions that it was there and to be careful and mindful of=
 it.&nbsp=3B From what I can determine it succumbed to a bag of laundry car=
elessly thrown in on top of the rod.&nbsp=3B We won't mention any names as =
to the infractee.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
My other disappointment was that I had requested time off on Sunday in hope=
s of being able to get to the AGM for part of the day for the Federation an=
d also three vacation days thereafter.&nbsp=3B Somehow=2C they lost my pape=
r work and therefore I had to work Sunday.&nbsp=3B Oh well=2C once before I=
 had to ask for photocopies of my requests.&nbsp=3B It is a sad day when on=
e has to resort to such again.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Interestingly enough there have been reports of northern shrikes locally.&n=
bsp=3B One was at Gold River and a suspected other at Second Peninsula.&nbs=
p=3B At Second Peninsula my reportee tells me that he found a bee impaled o=
n a barbed wire fence.&nbsp=3B The only bird that we know that would do suc=
h a thing is the butcher bird or Northern Shrike.&nbsp=3B Maybe it is the s=
ame bird that was at Gold River.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR><br /><hr />Internet Explorer 8 makes surfing easier.  <a href=
=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9655264' target=3D'_new'>Get it now! =
</a></body>

--_a4fbfc71-3c01-4bbe-9ad0-cc92531257a5_--