[NatureNS] Feral Cats and Birds

From: "Eddie Chapman" <echapman@online.no>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:05:28 +0200

Dette er en melding med flere deler i MIME-format.

------=_NextPart_000_005C_01C9E74F.1BC99C40

Roland,

It is not only the American Bird Conservancy who are worried about the
impacts cats are having on the natural fauna. Lots of countries around =
the
world are voicing the same problem.  A few years ago there was a major =
study
in the United Kingdom. The study was in part sponsored by a large pet =
food
company and government grants. Thousands of cat owners filled in, and
returned forms telling precisely what their cats brought home. The =
results
were shocking to say the least.

=20

The UK=92s cats catch up to 273 million prey items, of which 55 million =
were
birds. What the study couldn=92t show was the number of prey items that
weren=92t brought home, or the numbers of prey items that escaped from =
the
cats, only to die later due to their wounds.  One major point to =
emphasize
here is the number of prey items being caught by feral cats. In the =
latter,
this was thought to be more than the domesticated cats as these are not =
feed
on a regular basis and are dependent on what they can scavenge or catch.

=20

In America, where the cat population is a lot more than the UK, then it =
is
only natural that the numbers of prey items will also increase. On a =
last
note, it was great to read that the local fauna in the form of coyotes =
and
foxes are reducing cat numbers.

=20

Regards,