[NatureNS] Jumbled Bird Sightings

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 02:40:20 +0000

--_53e5efff-256d-4d23-84b5-e7846f37e0e3_

The juvenile bald eagle just outside of Bridgewater is now almost the size =
of the adult.

=20

I had a call from Hebb's Mills with two adult great-horned owls trying to t=
each a young one to fly.  They had the young one up on top of a wood pile=
=2C but were unsuccessful.

=20

Cherry Hill Beach on May 31.  Twelve piping plovers.  We've lost three nest=
s so far.  We have a major issue with American crows on the beach this year=
.  A few of the nests lost were very close to hatching.  We still have thre=
e=2C maybe four active nests.  Two will now have predator enclosures.  One =
should be very close to hatching.

=20

I had a glaucous gull on May 31 at Cherry Hill

=20

On May 31 at Cherry Hill as well=2C I heard a flycatcher singing that I did=
 not recognize.  Upon investigation it was an Eastern Kingbird.  I've never=
 heard one vocalize before.

=20

May 31=2C other shorebirds on Cherry Hill.  Nine black-bellied plovers=2C n=
ine willets and a greater yellowlegs.

=20

June 4=2C at 22:00 in Lunenburg.  It was dark and I heard a very vocal merl=
in calling.  I believe this should signify nesting.  I'll have to investiga=
te during daylight hours.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Blockhouse

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666046=

--_53e5efff-256d-4d23-84b5-e7846f37e0e3_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
The juvenile bald eagle just outside of Bridgewater is now almost the size =
of the adult.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I had a call from Hebb's Mills with two adult great-horned owls trying to t=
each a young one to fly.&nbsp=3B They had the young one up on top of a wood=
 pile=2C but were unsuccessful.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Cherry Hill Beach on May 31.&nbsp=3B Twelve piping plovers.&nbsp=3B We've l=
ost three nests so far.&nbsp=3B We have a major issue with American crows o=
n the beach this year.&nbsp=3B A few of the nests lost were very close to h=
atching.&nbsp=3B We still have three=2C maybe four active nests.&nbsp=3B Tw=
o will now have predator enclosures.&nbsp=3B One should be very close to ha=
tching.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I had a glaucous gull on May 31 at Cherry Hill<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On May 31 at Cherry Hill as well=2C I heard a flycatcher singing that I did=
 not recognize.&nbsp=3B Upon investigation it was an Eastern Kingbird.&nbsp=
=3B I've never heard one vocalize before.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
May 31=2C other shorebirds on Cherry Hill.&nbsp=3B Nine black-bellied plove=
rs=2C nine willets and a greater yellowlegs.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
June 4=2C at 22:00 in Lunenburg.&nbsp=3B It was dark and I heard a very voc=
al merlin calling.&nbsp=3B I believe this should signify nesting.&nbsp=3B I=
'll have to investigate during daylight hours.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Blockhouse<BR><br /><hr />Attention all humans. We are your photos.  <a hre=
f=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666044' target=3D'_new'>Free us.</a=

--_53e5efff-256d-4d23-84b5-e7846f37e0e3_--