[NatureNS] Indigo Buntings - Query

From: <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:06:52 -0400

Hi there,

There have been many reports of Indigo Buntings this spring, most of them males.  Since the males are so splendid, they are readily noticed even by those who don't pay close attention to birds, unlike the drab females of the species.  However, I wonder if is this the only reason we aren't seeing reports of female Indigo Buntings.  Do the males normally migrate in advance of the females, and so perhaps they were caught up in a weather system and brought here?  Or is there some other factor at play?

Just curious ...

Patricia L.Chalmers
Halifax