[NatureNS] Wild Flora ID assistance - Violets

Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 11:49:30 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: David G Patriquin <David.Patriquin@Dal.Ca>

--Boundary_(ID_g8yItVn63KGIiEfHAonZwA)

Hi Blake- What a treat to see the lovely violet pictures. During the
1960's I lived in Hudson, Quebec, where we had a large property which
included a field, a small woods with a wet spot, and a brook running
along the edge of the field. There were a number of lovely early plants
already there, and I successfully transplanted a number of species of
violets. .
I am no botanist, but I will have a go at ID for the violets :
#1-Pale Early Violet or LeConte's Violet (Viola affinis) Note the
*tufts* inside the lower petal! They are the ID give-away, in absence of
the leaves (which are longish heart shaped). Usually found in moist woods.
#2- ? - possibly Selkirk's Violet ??? Do I see a spur at the back of the
lower petal? Leaves don't look "right" for Selkirk's, though. Was it in
the woods? What about Ovate-leaved Violet? I don't see it being "downy",
though. I checked Newcomb (p.32) - still don't know. Hope David
Patriquin and others will help with this.
#3- Round leaved Yellow Violet (Viola rotundifolia) (heart shaped
leaves) found in rich woods.
#4- Northern White Violet (Viola pallens) (if found near water, and if
spread by runners) Very fragrant.
Or: Sweet White Violet (Viola blanda) if it has smooth reddish stems-
found in rich woods.
Or: Large-leaved White Violet (Viola incognita). if the leaf stalks and
stems are hairy,
#5- Birdfoot Violet ( Viola pedata) Note the bird's foot leaves, and the
orange stamens.

I'll be happy for corrections and/or confirmations on these. Thanks
Blake, for the challenge. Cheers, Joan

Blake Maybank wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I've just returned from southern Ontario and northern Michigan, where
> I managed to take some flower shots. I found it hard to ID the various
> violets, however, as I am not very familiar with the flora of the
> Carolinian forest of southern Ontario.
>
> I have placed five violet photos here:
>
> http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee253/Accentor/ID%20needed/
>
> I'd appreciate any ID assistance with these plants.
>
> All the best,
>
> Blake

> Blake Maybank
> maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
> 902-852-2077
>
> Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
> http://nsbs.chebucto.org
>
> author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
> http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS.htm
>
> White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

--Boundary_(ID_g8yItVn63KGIiEfHAonZwA)

<head>
</head>
Hi Blake- What a treat to see the lovely violet pictures. During the
1960's I lived in Hudson, Quebec, where we had a large property which
included a field, a small woods with a wet spot, and a brook running
along the edge of the field. There were a number of lovely early plants
already there, and I successfully transplanted a number of species of
violets. .<br>
I am no botanist, but I will have a go at&nbsp; ID for the violets :<br>
#1-Pale Early Violet&nbsp; or LeConte's Violet (Viola affinis) Note the <b>tufts</b>
inside the lower petal! They are the ID give-away, in absence of the
leaves (which are longish heart shaped). Usually found in moist woods. <br>
#2- ? - possibly Selkirk's Violet ??? Do I see a spur at the back of
the lower petal?&nbsp; Leaves don't look "right" for Selkirk's, though. Was
it in the woods? What about Ovate-leaved Violet? I don't see it being
"downy", though. I checked Newcomb (p.32) - still don't know. Hope
David Patriquin and others will help with this. <br>
#3- Round leaved Yellow Violet (Viola rotundifolia) (heart shaped
leaves) found in rich woods.<br>
#4- Northern White Violet (Viola pallens) (if found near water, and if
spread by runners) Very fragrant.<br>
Or: Sweet White Violet (Viola blanda) if it has smooth reddish stems-
found in rich woods. <br>
Or: Large-leaved White Violet (Viola incognita). if the leaf stalks and
stems are hairy,<br>
#5- Birdfoot Violet ( Viola pedata) Note the bird's foot leaves, and
the orange stamens.<br>
I'll be happy for corrections and/or confirmations on these. Thanks
Blake, for the challenge. Cheers, Joan<br>
Blake Maybank wrote:
 cite="mid:20090527194222.OUDE1658.simmts5-srv.bellnexxia.net@simip10-ac.srvr.bell.ca"
 type="cite">Hi all;
I've just returned from southern Ontario and northern Michigan, where I
managed to take some flower shots.&nbsp; I found it hard to ID the various
violets, however, as I am not very familiar with the flora of the
Carolinian forest of southern Ontario.
I have placed five violet photos here:
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee253/Accentor/ID%20needed/
I'd appreciate any ID assistance with these plants.
All the best,
Blake
Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
902-852-2077
Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
http://nsbs.chebucto.org
author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS.htm
White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada <br>

--Boundary_(ID_g8yItVn63KGIiEfHAonZwA)--