[NatureNS] Taking the sting out of the sting

Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:05:39 -0300
From: Pat McKay <ah205@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00163646d4faa9805d046ad56971

2009/5/26 Paul S. Boyer <psboyer@eastlink.ca>

> I have been reading a bit about insect stings. The Bald-faced Hornet and
> the Yellow Jacket are regarded as the most painful insects we are liked t=
> encounter, although I do not know (and would hate to imagine) how this
> conclusion could be rigorously tested.  Some researchers have actually
> compiled a sting-scale of such things.  (For example, see:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index)<http://en.wikipedi=
a.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index%29>
> One article states that such remedies as baking soda are probably
> ineffective: "placing large amounts of alkali near the sting site is
> unlikely to produce a perfectly neutral pH to stop the pain.  Many people
> do claim benefit from these home remedies, but it is doubtful they have a=
ny
> real physical effect on how much a sting hurts or continues hurting, the
> effect is probably related to rubbing the area or the mind perceiving
> benefit."  They even give references.  See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_sting
>
> I have had that remedy used on bee stings, and it did not seem very usefu=
l.
>  For stings of the Bald-faced hornet, however, it was amazingly effective=
.
>  I was pulling weeds, and accidently grasped a small, volunteer
> tree-seedling on which some Bald-faced Hornets  (Dolichovespula maculata)=
 were
> just starting a nest.  Two of them alighted on my left forearm and began
> stinging.  Being of an investigative turn of mind, I restrained myself fr=
om
> brushing them away, the better to be able to observe their attack, and to
> get a certain identification.  In this I was frustrated, because as they
> injected their venom, they vibrated their bodies so that they looked
> blurred.  As the pain increased, I finally knocked them off my arm, and r=
an
> indoors for some baking soda.
>
> When I used the baking soda, applied on a moistened paper towel, the pain
> rather suddenly disappeared, and was replaced by a pleasurable sensation.
>  Perhaps this was an example of the contrast of stimuli.  Another remarka=
ble
> thing is that I could find no marks, not even red spots, indicating the
> points of injection.  From this I concluded that the venom had little eff=
ect
> on me except for its strong acidity, or from some component whose activit=
> was pH related.
>
> =E2=80=94 Paul Boyer

I remember being told when a child to use baking soda for wasps, but vinega=
for bee stings, as the one was acid and the other alkaki.

Pat McKay

> On 24 May 2009, at 6:13 PM, Ken MacAulay wrote:
>
> Growing up in Scotland, as kids we would use the leaves of the dock(en)
> plant to rub on nettle stings. We also put vinegar on bee/wasp stings.  I
> presume the acid somehow counteracted the venom.  We used to chew plantai=
> leaves for refreshment - candies were still rationed till the early
> fifties!
> Ken MacAulay
> Port Mouton, NS

--00163646d4faa9805d046ad56971

">&lt;psboyer@eastlink.ca&gt;</s=
pan><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid r=
gb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
ed Hornet and the Yellow Jacket are regarded as the most painful insects we=
 are liked to encounter, although I do not know (and would hate to imagine)=
 how this conclusion could be rigorously tested. =C2=A0Some researchers hav=
e actually compiled a sting-scale of such things. =C2=A0(For example, see:=
=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index%29" =
target=3D"_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index)</a=
bably ineffective: &quot;<span style=3D"line-height: 19px;">placing large a=
mounts of alkali near the sting site is unlikely to produce a perfectly neu=
tral pH to stop the pain.<span style=3D"line-height: 10px;">=C2=A0=C2=A0</s=
pan>Many people do claim benefit from these home remedies, but it is doubtf=
ul they have any real physical effect on how much a sting hurts or continue=
s hurting, the effect is probably related to rubbing the area or the mind p=
erceiving benefit.&quot; =C2=A0They even give references. =C2=A0See:=C2=A0<=
/span><a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_sting" target=3D"_blank">=
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_sting</a></div>
ot seem very useful. =C2=A0For stings of the Bald-faced hornet, however, it=
 was amazingly effective. =C2=A0I was pulling weeds, and accidently grasped=
 a small, volunteer tree-seedling on which some Bald-faced Hornets =C2=A0(<=
span style=3D"font-style: italic; font-weight: bold; line-height: 19px;"><s=
pan style=3D"font-weight: normal;">Dolichovespula maculata</span><span styl=
e=3D"font-weight: normal; font-style: normal;">)</span>=C2=A0<span style=3D=
"font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;">were just s=
tarting a nest. =C2=A0Two of them alighted on my left forearm and began sti=
nging. =C2=A0Being of an investigative turn of mind, I restrained myself fr=
om brushing them away, the better to be able to observe their attack, and t=
o get a certain identification. =C2=A0In this I was frustrated, because as =
they injected their venom, they vibrated their bodies so that they looked b=
lurred. =C2=A0As the pain increased, I finally knocked them off my arm, and=
er towel, the pain rather suddenly disappeared, and was replaced by a pleas=
urable sensation. =C2=A0Perhaps this was an example of the contrast of stim=
uli. =C2=A0Another remarkable thing is that I could find no marks, not even=
 red spots, indicating the points of injection. =C2=A0From this I concluded=
 that the venom had little effect on me except for its strong acidity, or f=
rom some component whose activity was pH related.</div>
 remember being told when a child to use baking soda for wasps, but vinegar=
 for bee stings, as the one was acid and the other alkaki. <br><br>Pat McKa=
y <br>
(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div style=
PM, Ken MacAulay wrote:</div>
 use the leaves of the dock(en)<br>plant to rub on nettle stings. We also p=
ut vinegar on bee/wasp stings. =C2=A0I<br>presume the acid somehow countera=
cted the venom. =C2=A0We used to chew plantain<br>