[NatureNS] WASP DETERRENT

From: "Gloria Gilbert" <turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Nature NS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:21:15 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C9DC6A.22583520

The paper wasps were starting to build under the roof peak of my house =
last spring. A paper lunch bag stuffed with fluff and hung under the =
eaves discouraged them. The weather ruined the dummy nest in a =
nor'easter, so this year I used a gray plastic bag... so far, so good.

The yellowjackets under the deck got a more severe treatment before =
daylight one morning... a spray foam that fills the nest while they are =
asleep. Chemicals are not my favorite, but that colony would not accept =
a bait of tuna, mayonnaise and Comet. Perhaps I failed to shelter the =
bait from rain until it had time to work. It is worth a try, especially =
early in the season before they get firmly established. Recipe is equal =
parts of the 3 ingredients.

If you get stung, a cool green leaf is comforting... kids love the magic =
of a cool leaf.

Gloria
------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C9DC6A.22583520

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>
<BODY>
<DIV>The paper wasps were starting to build under the roof peak of my =
house last=20
spring.&nbsp;A paper lunch bag stuffed with fluff and hung under the =
eaves=20
discouraged them. The weather ruined the dummy nest in a nor'easter, so =
this=20
year I used a gray plastic bag... so far, so good.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The yellowjackets under the deck got a more severe treatment before =

daylight one morning... a spray foam that fills the nest while they are =
asleep.=20
Chemicals are not my favorite, but that colony would not accept a bait =
of tuna,=20
mayonnaise and Comet. Perhaps I failed to shelter the bait from rain =
until it=20
had time to work. It is worth a try, especially early in the season =
before they=20
get firmly established. Recipe is equal parts of the 3 =
ingredients.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you get stung, a cool green leaf is comforting... kids love the =
magic of=20
a cool leaf.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gloria</DIV></BODY></HTML></FONT></FONT>

------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C9DC6A.22583520--