[NatureNS] Tiger Beetles

Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:11:00 -0300
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Angus MacLean <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>

Right after I sent the message below, I went out to the backyard and
found many Tiger Beetles (C. sexguttata). The temp has rose
considerably in the last hour or so which may have brought them out.
Going to be a hot day here!!
Angus

Hi Derek:
On the same day (last Sat-May 9) while I was doing my bird count for
the NAMC, I did note many Spring Azures, Cabbage Butterflies and
Mustard Whites around the Coldbrook area. Mustard Whites were the
most prominent.....they seem to be everywhere now whereas a few years
ago you could only find them in select areas. Good for them but where
are the Mourning Cloaks?? It's been several years since I've seen
any. Likely one of those Lep species that is in serious decline!?

I envy you for your find of three Elfin species at Mount Uniacke The
only one I've found here (usually in Palmeter Woods) is the Eastern Pine.

Usually there are Tiger Beetles around our property but none so far.

Angus