[NatureNS] Staphylinid

From: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 13:42:16 -0300

Dear All,                May 10, 2009
    Yesterday afternoon, while using a cabinet scraper outside (between
showers) to take the high points off of a Red Maple handrail (live tree cut
May 5) a tiny Rove Beetle (~3 mm long) landed on the handrail, stayed there
for roughly 5 minutes while I scraped all around it, looked at it, etc.;
walked to one edge when the scraper blade was almost hitting it and flew off
after I had rolled the handrail through 180o to scrape the third face.

    I don't recall having encountered a Staphylinid so prepared to sit
still, let alone sit still in the midst of disturbances. Whether it was just
basking in the hazy sun, drawn by the odor of fresh Red Maple or just
thinking about something only it knows.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville