[NatureNS] White eyed vireo

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 20:55:59 -0300

Sunday, May 3, 2009

It was very foggy out in Hartlen Point, but I wasn't going to let it
discourage me.

I walked slowly looking for any bird movement.  At first, it was mostly song
sparrows and robins.   The next thing, I flushed out an Osprey which was
resting down on the ground, not far from the nest which is right by the
gravel path.  A few minutes later, the same thing happened with the second
osprey. Both really close, but fortunately I didn't have to feel the whoosh
from the ospreys' wings of either one.  They were more or less near the
nest.

I walked past the beacon/ tower building where the rare birds were found by
Terry Paquet.  The path became rather soggy and wet preventing me from going
further as I was wearing my sandals.  Just stood and looked around.  Some
time later, a Palm warbler came out to welcome me in... Next were a few
yellow rumps and black capped chickadees.

I pished some more.  A vireo came up in a spruce tree at the back.  It
lacked the characteristic white rings and sported yellow lores so I
gradually realized that it must be the white eyed vireo!  Could see its
white eyes with black pupils. Good long looks that any one could have easily
taken some good photographs.  It was singing. Other birds I found were a
pair of Brown headed cowbirds, a few Purple finches AND a merlin. No sign of
the gnatcatcher.

Cheers, liz