[NatureNS] Sperm Whale

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:54:17 -0300
From: "Margaret E.Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

We had a large dead whale wash in here on the beach by the golf course oh
about 1987, I think. It was towed around to Hunts Point beach where it was
mashed up pretty good trying to get it into a dump truck (s) with a crane
dropping it and lifting it.  It was taken to a special place where things
were allowed to decay in case someone wanted to salvage body parts.
Municipality should have that info. I have an idea what road to go up but
not where they are buried up there.
I have 2 pieces of it in my yard here that are slowly disintegrating and
gnawed away at by critters and birds. The smell of it back then was unreal.
It took some doing but I managed to get a couple pieces in garbage bags and
home and thought to put them on an ant hill to be cleaned up. Well took
awhile but the ants......... well the ants moved on....bones were pretty
mucky for the next couple years so I ended up burying them in my compost bin
when we moved here. Eventually they cleaned up.
http://margmillard.ca