[NatureNS] Sperm Whale

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:08:52 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Recently, I was alerted to the presence of a whale that had washed up
in Antigonish County prior to the winter ice-up. The whale is in the
intertidal, so I'm a bit worried of it becoming dislodged and swept
away. Hence, I have obtained a Department of Fisheries and Oceans
permit to get the salvage process directly underway. My team of
anatomy students and I have already spent about five hours on site.
What have we collected? We did not get three Norwegians, we did not
get two Swedes, we only got one fin.

We're due to go back very shortly and collect more; cutting through
blubber (which is much more than just fat) is a slow, knife-dulling
process.

http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/personel/recent.html

I have alerted Hal Whitehead's team (he is a whale biologist at
Dalhousie who happens to work with Sperm Whales), and by extension,
the stranding network. According to Andrew Hebda at the Museum, this
is only the seventh-recorded beached Sperm Whale for the province. If
possible, I will be collecting enough material to share with the
NSMNH. I believe there is a representative from the Acadia museum on
this list...please get in touch with me. The same goes for other
universities with formal collections; you will all need permits for
any bits; I am not at liberty to hand away any pieces from this (or
any other) animal under the terms of my own permits.

I do not know how it died, there are no obvious marks to suggest
impact. I won't be getting into the stomach for awhile (if at
all)...once that is opened, I don't think working around it will be
olfactorily-pleasant.

To be able to work on such an animal is, for a zoologist with a
passion for anatomy, a once-in-a-career opportunity. The local man who
took us to the whale told me that I looked like a kid opening presents
at Christmas!

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of