[NatureNS] Boreal Owl

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:00:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Becky Stewart <bstewart@bsc-eoc.org>,

  size=3&gt;&lt;SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt"&gt

Hi Helene;

This is exciting news!  Especially since the owl will recover.  Tatamagouche is in Ross Hall's region - 21-Cobequid.  Do you have any idea where the owl was struck?  Was it right in Tatamagouche?

Interestingly enough, I heard a Boreal Owl when I was doing an owl survey near Earltown, two years ago.  It was on our first stop at the end of the Berichan Road near Hwy #256.  I was with Susann Myers, who didn't hear it - she was about 50 meters up the road, and the owl was calling softly.  I brought her over, but it didn't call again, and since we have a policy of not counting single observer sightings/hearings on our owl surveys, I didn't record it.

Fulton Lavender heard a Boreal Owl last year on Hwy 256, a little further east than the Berichan Road - toward Pictou.  Now with your ministrations establishing a confirmed record, I'd think it is safe to say there are Boreal Owls in that region.

Ross, perhaps you could alert your atlassers?  I'll contact Susann Myers to listen for them on her route.

Thanks, so much, for the report, Helene - and for your invaluable efforts on behalf of wildlife.

Cheers;
Suzanne