[NatureNS] Birds face longer migrations due to climate change

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 03:16:41 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

   Not sure what Paul found so objectionable about this story, which
was perhaps
a low grade report (little value-added material) but was actually excerpting
analyses and quotations from several researchers and the RSPBirds in
UK, not so
much giving the reporter's own opinion (or that of `the media`).
   I didn't read it as suggesting that birds fly up seeking a particular
temperature value, but that the southern border of the habitat to which they
are specifically adapted is moving further north quite rapidly because
of local
warming, presumably itself a result of global climate change.  If for
example a
particular bird species is evolutionarily-programmed to migrate north for a
certain average time or distance, &/or is programmed to recognize exposed
tundra before it lands and tries to claim territory, it may wind up exhausted
in boreal forest instead of tundra within a few decades, if the northwards
trends in vegetation cover observed already continue.  Food sources
there might
be sub-optimal.
   The argument that small warblers seem to have made it through earlier more
extreme climate changes just fine may be correct*, but misses the point: other
species of small warblers may not have survived and become extinct,
because the
changes were too extreme for those particular species to adapt to.  We do not
now have these extinct species recorded or left to testify (few or no
fossils).
   I don't believe that people who study it think that there is a `motive for
migration` whether food or not.  The proximate cause of migration would be a
newly modified internal hormonal state (probably triggered by daylength
changes) that elicits an anciently evolved behaviour to migrate, in the brain.
The ultimate cause -- why such migratory behaviour evolved in the past -- is
generally argued to be the lower density of predators and lessened competition
for territory and perhaps food in the north; food (insects etc)
obviously needs
to be abundant, but is present in the summer both the winter grounds and
temporarily in the northern habitat -- the difference is the
competition. Certainly no one argues these days that such behaviours
are purely instinctive
and unmodifiable, but equally some species may be less adaptable to habitat
change than others and less able to survive climate shifts.
   *or it may not be -- they may instead have survived further south and then
gradually re-colonized the emptied northern zones as these warmed up.